The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wastegate on exhaust manifold clearance issues on gvr4?

blacksheep

I was debating with someone as to how the gvr4 does not allow for a wastegate mounted manifold well as well as this being an older inefficient way of setting it up. I didnt think there were any ones available anymore with the option of the wastegate on the manifold like SFP cracktacular (not cracka like VRausch4, I meant crack like....never mind, Steef knows)

I was told that there are no 02 housings with manifolds designed for the gvr4 or that would fit the gvr4 like the FP one.

I have been suggesting that this guy run an Evo III 16G from FP as best approach and kee it simple, but he would like to go green or 20G which I think are also decent street turbos.

I am rusty on what fits and doesnt since I havent worked on one for a while, can y'all fill me in?

Thanks!

bazeng

Not sure if this relates, but a friend purchased an FP3065 with the dump pipe and tial gate, now he had clearance issues with the gate hitting the power steering pump shield. He has a GVR4 motor in a lancer GSR chassis.

It did fit after some bending / bashing on the shield though.
I dont think the dump pipe that was supplied fit too well though as the clearance between the radiator and the exhaust was not enough... Possibly good on DSM's??

turbowop

Quoting bazeng:
Not sure if this relates, but a friend purchased an FP3065 with the dump pipe and tial gate, now he had clearance issues with the gate hitting the power steering pump shield. He has a GVR4 motor in a lancer GSR chassis.

It did fit after some bending / bashing on the shield though.
I dont think the dump pipe that was supplied fit too well though as the clearance between the radiator and the exhaust was not enough... Possibly good on DSM's??

I had to remove the PS pump heat shield for my FP3052 setup. I just looked at my other GVR4 to see if it could be clearanced, but it's missing the shield also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hs.gif I guess it's not that important as I haven't had any issues with either car regarding heating up the PS pump. As far as the FP dump pipe clearing the radiator, mine is fine. Everything fits really well.

Back when I had my FPgreen setup, I had to do some custom work to the Victory Performance O2 housing I had for it. The O2 housing was made for DSM radiator clearances, so once it was bolted onto the Galant and the wastegate was mounted, it hit the radiator. I had to cut the O2 mount and have it rewelded so it would clear. Wasn't a huge deal, just a little inconvenient.

Rausch

Quote:
(not cracka like VRausch4, I meant crack like....never mind, Steef knows)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cuddlemad.gif You bastard guy.

If I remember correctly you lose about 1" of clearance between the DSM and the Garrant.

blacksheep

Good stuff to know...

Wopper - Yuor FP green - was it internally gated? Any creep issues? I keep telling this guy Evo 3 16G is all he needs, but we keep circling 18g, 20g, sleeper 16g, fp green. I think I have him talked into internally gated for easy bolt-on and to run a Evo 3 02 housing.

He says he wants to auto-x and just have a fun highway car. I think Evo 3 16G is all he really needs.

Any opinions on sleeper 16G and 18G? from some expert advice, they are laggy....

turbowop

My FPgreen setup used an external wastegate. I used a Tial 40mm. For a 20g and larger, I would go with an external for better boost control.

If he wants to autocross, I would stick with a simple Evo3 16g.

deez

Tough call as to what turbo to go with. I run the E16G, and if you look at my list of mods, its a well built car. Its fun, but now that I am used to the amount of power, I am bored with it and want more. So I guess it depends on the person. For me, its a great setup for a street car. But more would be better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

slugsgomoo

for a 20g you can actually put a WG on top of the manifold as there is a ton more clearance on a gvr4 than a dsm (where that doesn't work). Andre (Grocery_Getter) had a setup like that with his 20g at one point.

Honestly, if you want to go decently big, internal wastegates are garbage, but if he wants to go autoX without going bigger displacement wise (or at least compression) a big turbo won't be any fun regardless.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting VRausch4:
Quoting blacksheep:

If I remember correctly you lose about 1" of clearance between the DSM and the Garrant.

As I recall, it's WAY more than that. Along the lines of 4 inches or so, because the DSM alternator kinda tilts forward to clear the roof line. I can get exact measurements if you want.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting blacksheep:
I was debating with someone as to how the gvr4 does not allow for a wastegate mounted manifold well as well as this being an older inefficient way of setting it up. I didnt think there were any ones available anymore with the option of the wastegate on the manifold like SFP cracktacular (not cracka like VRausch4, I meant crack like....never mind, Steef knows)

I was told that there are no 02 housings with manifolds designed for the gvr4 or that would fit the gvr4 like the FP one.

I have been suggesting that this guy run an Evo III 16G from FP as best approach and kee it simple, but he would like to go green or 20G which I think are also decent street turbos.

I am rusty on what fits and doesnt since I havent worked on one for a while, can y'all fill me in?

Thanks!

If you run a civic 1/2 width radiator, you have room for as much wastegate as you want. I had a problem with a deltagate on a Tnetics manifold years ago, it rubbed the radiator just a little, but i got it to work. I did have to "coerce" it a bit, though. The deltagate was sh*t, and i got rid of that setup. I ran a tial 38 mounted to a 2g manifold for a long time. It was mounted so it stood straight up, exiting forward with a 90° down turn on the dump pipe. That setup cracked around the welds and wasn't all that great. Now i'm running the HAFE cast mani with a tial 38 exiting straight down. I'm running a GT3076r and intend to replace my manifold with a FP unit, and get a FP turbine housing to replace the BEP one i have now. Since tial came out with that new shorty 38mm vband gate, i really think that's the way to go, for me.

I saw the radiator as a problem for a long time. Since going to a 2" thick two row half width radiator, all of my concerns about IC plumbing, turbo, manifold, and wastegate size/placement have disappeared.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Quoting jepherz:
Quoting VRausch4:
Quoting blacksheep:

As I recall, it's WAY more than that. Along the lines of 4 inches or so, because the DSM RADIATOR kinda tilts forward...

I fixed that for you.

Last edited:

Nate

Or, you could just mount the gate on top of the runner, instead of facing out towards the front. Worked 14 years ago, should still work today.

Nate

Mine was a little closer to the valve cover, and the dump tube ran further from the radiator. It let me use a stock radiator. ROCK steady boost control, though.

blacksheep

Nate and Wopper - No one makes a manifold with a mount in that manner, tho - do they? I looked up the hafe and it seems decent and a great price for a stainless cast manifold, I think. Correct me if I am wrong

click

On the civic radiator

Can you post pics please?
Which era of civic radiator?
Do you use stock or aftermarket radiator?
Do you fab up special mount for the radiator height and bolt to the gvr4 location?

His radiator is stock and white/grey on the top, so maybe he can upgrade to a civic radiator, perhaps....

blacksheep

Quoting mitsuturbo:

If you run a civic 1/2 width radiator, you have room for as much wastegate as you want. I had a problem with a deltagate on a Tnetics manifold years ago, it rubbed the radiator just a little, but i got it to work. I did have to "coerce" it a bit, though. The deltagate was sh*t, and i got rid of that setup. I ran a tial 38 mounted to a 2g manifold for a long time. It was mounted so it stood straight up, exiting forward with a 90° down turn on the dump pipe. That setup cracked around the welds and wasn't all that great. Now i'm running the HAFE cast mani with a tial 38 exiting straight down. I'm running a GT3076r and intend to replace my manifold with a FP unit, and get a FP turbine housing to replace the BEP one i have now. Since tial came out with that new shorty 38mm vband gate, i really think that's the way to go, for me.

I saw the radiator as a problem for a long time. Since going to a 2" thick two row half width radiator, all of my concerns about IC plumbing, turbo, manifold, and wastegate size/placement have disappeared.

Can you post pics of this hafe manifold and wastegate setup you are running and how close it is to the PS pump?

Also your radiator setup, would be awesome....

Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts