The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Still No F***ing Headlights or Power Windows....

Boostin21

Ok so after i got the other electrical issues "sorted out". I discovered some more. I figured this would be my downfall coming into this.
So i added a ground from the cross member to the trans, and the negative terminal to the chassis.
I have NO power going to the headlights themselves and i dont think there was any power at the junction block either. Ground issue still???? I checked all of them and they were good. Should i add another??? If so where to be specific???

My windows worked when i assembled the doors as i powered them off my truck battery. Could i have a bad switch.

The wires to everything on the car were good. The accessories i didnt use were left unplugged (will be removed at a later time). The plugs that were used can pretty much only go to one other connector so i know they arent switched around.

I am really hoping its just a ground issue still.

Thanks,
cullen

14u2nV

Does anything else on the dash not work? Turn Signals/wipers? Did you forget to put a fuse or relay in somewhere?

do you have all of the "cluster" of grounds connected on the firewal? Check the howto section i think there are links to the online pdf's of the whole gvr4 electrical system or if you have the book yourself it probbly would be alot easier to trace the problem.

BoostedAWD91

i have a extra master window switch panel for the ds door if u need one.
check to see if u have power going to the switches

fivestardsm

Have you checked the main 100 or 110 amp fuse in the fusebox? This will kill both. It is the only bolt in style in the fuse box under the hood.

Boostin21

100 amp is new...

i will recheck all the grounds on the firewall. all the fuses and relays should be there. under the hood they all are. i will double check the stuff under the dash.

taillights and brake lights work. hazards work but only in the rear.

i am using the oddyssey p680 battery and the terminal posts arent "posts"... they are 10mm bolts that thread into the battery. could this be it? should i just get a red top and stop screwing around with it?

i am past the point of frustration that i just want to take it to a shop and say here make my headlights work. everything else is fine. no leaks, i need to tweak the CAS a bit and hook up my catch can and intake and give it a tune.

id replace the window switch with a known working one. Is your battery relocated? I have a yellow top (not relocated) and i ran a nice 4gag wire off the battery to another ground point on the block, it deffently helped out. You have tested the sockets on the head lights with a test light light? I would start probing the wires from the sockets back with a test light and im sure you will find some point where it is getting power. Sounds like a brake in the wire but you said all the wiring was fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member
I've got a nib redtop fs for cheap if you want it.

Boostin21

yeah i used a test light and got nothing... im gonna recheck all the grounds on the firewall. i have the CD manual and will be reading that through and through while im at class.

G send me a PM with a price on the battery. i am very very interested.

i'm hoping a larger battery will make a difference. im thinking the battery isnt powerful enough to support the vehicle.

i'll update soon.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Batteries only really start the car and provide a buffer for the alternator in between sensing and initiating higher charging currents. Don't buy a larger battery because an alternator is not up to the task of the electrical current load at whichever RPM, idle and/or mid level. A larger battery cannot hurt, just food for thought though.

Boostin21

I realize that. Thanks for the added info though. I just dont like the fact that the battery is squeezing out 11v of power. Thats barely enough.

I am really keeping my fingers crossed that i need more grounds or need to clean them up or what have you.

bustedsm

I never had a problem with my Odessy P650 and this type of electrical gremlin. Sounds like something is loose, not grounded properly, or a relay is toast. If you've checked all of the grounds you can come up with from the top of your head I'd go looking towards fuses and relays.

Boostin21

ok so after getting really pissed at my electrical negligence i took the car to some shop near here. he went through all the wiring and this is what he found.

Headlights-- I need a anti theft relay, its similar to a wiper motor relay.

Windows-- I need the ECTAS control unit, its like a 20 something prong box that i never hooked up i guess. its located under the dash near the obd port.

If anyone has a pic of the control unit or relay that would great, or if anyone has one please PM me ASAP!!!! This would be huge. This will solve my electrical problems and let me focus on tuning an what not.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned