The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aftermarket throttle body's which one should I use?

onesickcrx

So I am about to order a new JMF intake manifold and I am looking at all these different throttle body's that fit. Such as BBK, Power plus, Q45, Accufab, Stock bored to 63mm and 65mm. I have also heard the newer evo's throttle body's fit is that true? For starters I would like to get a 2 1/2" or bigger throttle body. Not to sound like a ricer but the stock one is ugly, and I don't see a point in paying too bore a stock one that I only use the tps sensor on. Why not buy a better one with the money I am putting towards boreing my stock one. So here is the question which one... Any feed back on any of these aftermarket ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif or any other ones?

Thanks

EMX5636

If you want reliability, stay with the stock one... IF you have to go bigger, then I would get the Q45. Most of the aftermarket "Ford Mustang" ones have been known to break the throttle shaft. I'm currently running an LS1 tb on my Galant, and will be selling the manifold/TB together pretty soon. I will be going back to a stock setup. GL.

324vr4

Do you have pictures EMX5636 of your IM and TB setup?! You just sparked my interest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ktmrider

Quoting onesickcrx:
So I am about to order a new JMF intake manifold and I am looking at all these different throttle body's that fit. Such as BBK, Power plus, Q45, Accufab, Stock bored to 63mm and 65mm. I have also heard the newer evo's throttle body's fit is that true? For starters I would like to get a 2 1/2" or bigger throttle body. Not to sound like a ricer but the stock one is ugly, and I don't see a point in paying too bore a stock one that I only use the tps sensor on. Why not buy a better one with the money I am putting towards boreing my stock one. So here is the question which one... Any feed back on any of these aftermarket ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif or any other ones?

Thanks

Is it just looks you are concerned with or do you have big power goals?
For one, there is more than just a TPS on the stock TB. The ISC, closed throttle switch, and FIAV are also "attached". If you DD the car in NY ( colder than most areas of the country ) you will regret deleting the ISC, CTW, and ( maybe ) FIAV. You would also need some type of ECU management to overcome the loss of the ISC else live with some idle surge.
Stock 1g intake system is proven fine to 400+ hp. Throw on a 2g elbow, clean up the stocker, and enjoy a much less tempramental whip....

Last edited:

onesickcrx

I am and have only been running the tps sensor using dsmlink. No problems so far? I would like a throttle body setup that is capable of well more then 400hp for the years to come hehe. I have heard that the BBK had problems as well. Is Accufab the same thing?

ktmrider

Ok, no info on your sig makes for lots of speculation.
There are quite a few posts regarding the aftermarket TB's both here and on the TEL sites. Yes, the BBK has a habit of "losing" butterfly bolts and sketchy quality.
Look for a recent thread here about a custom built TB. Not sure if it ever got thru the beta stage but could be just what you are looking for....

Hksvr4

I made 415whp with a Magnus intake, 1g throttle body and hks elbow. All I did was changed the seals and cleaned it out. That's it. Aftermarket ones are not meant for DD and making it work with a stock ecu is a bitch.

Dialcaliper

A stock throttle body bored to 63mm (2.5") or a non-turbo TB will produce pretty good results (the 63mm is a 10% increase in area). Trying to get any more responsiveness than that will be drowned out by the turbo lag on a big turbo, or flow restriction on a smaller one, and simply leave you with less fine throttle control (which should not be confused with "responsiveness".) Going with a larger throttle body than that will really only improve all-out flow on something like a drag car, or response on a N/A engine with a short intake path.

Basically, having a throttle body larger than the other components in your intake tract won't really provide much benefit when you consider the other things in the way (even a GT35 or GT40 compressor has only a 2.5" outlet, and there's an intercooler in the way too) If you start playing with GT42's or similarly sized snails, with appropriately sized piping and intercooler, you'll actually stand to gain something.

Evo 8-9 throttle bodies are only 60mm - not really much different from the stock one.

Last edited:

Theres a car on the dsmlink forums that made 850awhp on a stock 2g TB last year. It was the TPG 2G with a 42R.

Big throttle bodies on street cars is a bad idea, all they do is hurt driveability for a TINY gain in flow.

89coltgt

I have been looking into this myself for the d50(not a daily driver). It seems that most of the "stock" 75mm t-bodies tend to breat shafts, I myself was thinking of either an fftec 75mm or the q45. If I go with the q45, I would like to remove all of the unnecessary fittings and nipples.

Anybody running a q45?

Last edited:

I too recommend simply getting your stock TB bored out by someone like throttlebodys.com:
Throttlebodys.com
You won't have any driveability issues, and the TPS and ISC will be 100% functional, which you can't say for most of the options you listed.

Brianawd

Stick with a stock TB. I am still on a stock TB and was all last year. If you have never driven a dsm with a intake manifold and big TB you should because it sucks. It will make you love the stock dsm TB. The only thing I am going to do later down the road is have one of my spare TB rebuilt and bored out.

Mark

Gow much power are you making? To be honest I still have a stock TB. I have been told switching to a new TB only gives a little more HP so why switch? It's really not worth the idle issues etc.. I made a tad over 600 awhp (with auto) (had other bottlenecks) on the stock TB. I don't see a reason to upgrade.

Last edited:

mountaineerjeff

Quoting gixxer:
Theres a car on the dsmlink forums that made 850awhp on a stock 2g TB last year. It was the TPG 2G with a 42R.

well i guess TPG gets around, lol. the 2g has actually broken 1000 just to give you and update. huge tb are definently not the answer to power

Last edited:

onesickcrx

Ok I would have to say at this point that you've conviced me to stay stock. I will just bore out my stock throttle body. I was reading That Buschur's cars most of them run stock throttle bodies bored to 65mm. Do we know If anyone bores 65mm 1G throttle bodies?

Polish

Stock is fine, just clean it and put new seals in it. You don't need to bore anything.

BadVr4

somebody did a comparison on throttle body's, not sure if it was buschur, ams or someone else, i believe they tested the stock throttle body to a mustang style much bigger throttle body with a t67 turbo and they only gained 1whp, but the driveability was much worse with the bigger tbody.

Jostar

Stick to a overbored stock tb, My friend went thru 2 bbks in a week! Then he moved to a FordRacing TB for a rustang, I rather stick to a Stock TB unless it's a full drag car, then i would upgraded to Q45 tb.

onesickcrx

Where is the best place to find one of these N/T throttle bodies?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts