The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust Question again I know I know

Brunoboy

Hey guys, I know this has been covered MANY times before, ok well I know a 1g dsm dp works on our cars because they are all the same, I know that the 1g AWD Cat backs are shorter in length than the galant, so If i were to buy a 1g DSM cat back could I just extend it by cutting the pipe and adding pipe??? Thanks
-Shane

Dialcaliper

Unless you already have a 1G downpipe, the most common "pretty good fit" seems to be combining a 2G downpipe and a 1G catback. If you have neither, you can get VR-4 specific full exhausts from someone like Garfield.

If you already have the 1G downpipe, you could bolt in an extension before or after the cat (kind of like a race pipe with the right flanges)

Brunoboy

Thats what I was thinking, of getting a 2g dp, and then a high flow cat and the 1g dsm awd catback, will it all fit though is my question? Because my friends brother has many parts for the awd dsm's and would sell me these for cheap. So I would rather spend 400 on an exhaust system than 800 on one. you know?

yeah im pretty curious too. i always see 2g downpipes going for less. i thought about using a 2g dp and making the rest.

EMX5636

i Have a 2G awd downpipe on my Galant. They are Cat-eliminator (longer than a 1G) and fit about perfect. Here's an underside pic. I made the rest from the DP back.

db30623f.jpg

Lonewolf64

It fits great. Buy a 3inch 2g Megan Racing downpipe and it fits like a charm. Downpipe and back needs to be fabbed up after that.

Brunoboy

So what I ask is that will a 1g DP be ok bolted with a High Flow cat, and then with a 1g AWD Cat Back that has been Extended so its longer. is that ok? because For all that its still cheaper than a Exhaust system for our cars. Right now I have a Custom FULL WELDED straight pipe so No flanges, and I want flanges.
-Shane

ktmrider

The 2g DP flange clocking at the cat matches the GVR4 better/exactly ( you would need to cut the 1g TEL flange off and re-weld it at a different angle ). This is why everyone is saying go with a 2g DP for more Plug and Play.
Cat-wise use a CMPE high flow model made specific for the GVR4 ( again due to the front flange clocking ) or a test pipe for the GVR4 ( bad in Cali or IMO on any DD street car ).
Then you can use a 1g TEL cat-back system and extend it slightly near the cat to make up for the longer GVR4 body.
Or the easy, and more expensive route, get with Garfield Wright. I found an older model CMP 2.5" exhaust with cat that bolted up in 20 minutes. Hardest part was going to the store for some gaskets and hardware...

Brunoboy

thats the exact info I wanted ^^^ thanks for that.
-Shane

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned