The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Size Of Oil Cooler

CarRacer

I'm going to get a air cooler for my oil setup. I purchased a 90 filter housing.

I'm putting together the other pieces and I'm trying to use stuff that I have laying around my shop.

I have a tranny cooler off of a domestic that's quite large. I plan on using a oil thermostat, like Cy has on his car. That's a really smart idea, due to the climate we live in. I'm just worried that even with the thermostat, the cooler will be too efficient.

Size is 14.5 x 10 inches.

Flip4G63

thats huge man!!

i'm in texas and dont need anything that big. we got 110 weeks here.

CP

I used a 13-row Mocal unit from Summit or RPW. No gauge to see if it actually helped to lower oil temps or how effective it is/was, but I made it through two seasons of events with no issues. As I understand, the 90 filter housing already has a t-stat inside, so my big one that we installed inline is redundant. You don't need two, but let someone else confirm that the housing has a t-stat inside of it.

ktmrider

There is a cooler bypass valve that's temp sensitive IIRC.

CarRacer

Is that the valve we port to lower oil pressure?

Image009-1.jpg

89787910.jpg

i used this ams oil cooler kit. comes with more than enough hose and all the fittings.

Last edited by a moderator:

ktmrider

^^ Correct, here's a picture of the relief valve porting area and location located at the rear ( or closest to the crank pulley ):

The picture from Chris above with the braided line shows the bypass valve directly below the lines ( looks like a big castle nut with plastic cover ).

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Here is a jdm one for reference :

jdmoilcoolerre5.jpg

If you want to order these lines & or oil cooler lmk.

CarRacer

I'll be sourcing all my parts from leftovers in my shop. Thanks for the offer though G.

As for porting and any information related to the 90 OFH, I found this thread to be the best.

If the oil thermostat would be redundant, I could build this one for the price of the adapter fittings to the housing. Pops offered some leftover -10 hose from his Camaro build. I'm not sure if I'll even use that hose though, as the tranny cooler has no provisions for AN fittings. I might get a different cooler though. I'm sure Summit has some for under $50.

tsiboy

maybe consider going with a stock rx7 setup. its huge

and mounts an lines look easy

click

slugsgomoo

the 90 housing has a thermostat inside and only puts 10% of the oil through the cooler if it's below 180*

Unless you think you might need a smaller radiator in the winter because your car runs too cold too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Fact is, thermostats are in there to keep fluids at a set temp, not super cool or let them get hot. Pretty nifty.

Are you planning on running a 90 housing, or something else?

G

Staff member
tHERMO killer click I keep forgetting i need to order one of these.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned