The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TEL shifter

gvr4ever

I just installed a TEL shifter on the car today. I give a hell ya. The install was easy as pie (if you know the secret to lifting the center consol) and the result kicks ass.

They are cheap and you get a throw that is more sport and less truck
smile.gif
Also, it looks better too being much shorter.

I wish I did this a long time ago.

BTW lifting the center consol sucks ass if you have never done it before. Their are two screws going up just below the stereo. I took a cutting wheel to them
smile.gif
If you get them off, never put them back.

Then you have to master the art of the lift. After you take out all the screws and stereo sh*t that hold the thing in, then remove the plastic piece that slides out beside the e-brake (have the e-brake up). Next remove the boot and the knob (duh). Then undo the auto seatbelts from the latch and then pull them all the way out. Don't forget the little mirror control. Now you are ready to lift. Pull the back way up as you left the whole thing back. Pull a little to the right to get around the e-brake. You should be far enough back to lift it straight up and put it in the back seat.

Tip. Open the sun roof for more room.

BluFalcon

When I isntalled my TEL shifter I didn't need to lift the center console or remove any additional hardware. You should be able to get the old shifter out and install the new one without doing anything to the center console. It'll take a little wiggling, but it can be done.

gvr4ever

quote:Originally posted by BluFalcon:
When I isntalled my TEL shifter I didn't need to lift the center console or remove any additional hardware. You should be able to get the old shifter out and install the new one without doing anything to the center console. It'll take a little wiggling, but it can be done. You must have really f***ing small hands
smile.gif

If you can remove the boot and work the shifter, then go for it.

BluFalcon

Nah I've got the "Samoan Looking Meat Hooks". Now Howard on the other hand, has little girl hands....just perfect for things like adjusting the clutch linkage under the dash and anything else that requires a 'delicate" touch on the car.
grin.gif

quote:Originally posted by Nate:
Do they smell like cabbage? :) Holy sh*t, how did you know??!? That's what happens when you handle kimchi regularly.
grin.gif

Seriously, why don't you guys just open the armrest, pull the storage bin out, and you can reach your arm all the way to the shifter cables for adjustment and re/disassembly.

gvr4ever

quote:Originally posted by howard:
quote:Originally posted by Nate:
Do they smell like cabbage? :) Holy sh*t, how did you know??!? That's what happens when you handle kimchi regularly.
grin.gif

Seriously, why don't you guys just open the armrest, pull the storage bin out, and you can reach your arm all the way to the shifter cables for adjustment and re/disassembly.
Where you able to slid the shifter off without taking the center consol off? I just can't see the room. I tried every witch way, I ended up taking the thing off. There is much more room to work with. There are only two problem screws to deal with. Besides, if you want to use solid bushings (while your in their), you are going to have to take it off.

I thought I was hot sh*t after I got the arm off and the TEL one on without taking the console out, then I realized that to get the leather boot on I had to take the console off anyway. So I did a lot of work for nothing, but then I got to vacuum all around that area, and I think I found like 36 cents.

All around it was a good time.

gvr4ever

quote:Originally posted by meshwork:
I thought I was hot sh*t after I got the arm off and the TEL one on without taking the console out, then I realized that to get the leather boot on I had to take the console off anyway. So I did a lot of work for nothing, but then I got to vacuum all around that area, and I think I found like 36 cents.

All around it was a good time.
What kind of leather boot do you have?

BTW, good job on doing that with the consol on. That must have been a bitch.

I put a leather boot from a TEL on too. I took the oval shaped plastic ring that hooks up to the TEL console out, then stretched it over the square GVR4 ring and screwed it back on.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Part number GVR4ever used is MB659831.

gvr4ever

quote:Originally posted by 147of1000:
could anyone tel me what parts are needed from the tel to do the swap? Just the shifter lever (91-94). Thats it. Grab the rubber stopper thingy from the stock one. It's on the bottom on the triangle looking thing.

All you have to undo is one bolt and under one shifter cable.

MMorgan

can you use any TEL shifter? like an aftermarket short shifter or something?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts