The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wiring Harness Questions/Differences.

Muskrat

I purchased this wiring harness to replace my current one, which is in very sorry shape and breaking wires all over the place. I was beginning to remove the old harness and noticed a pretty big difference. On the path that runs from the ECU up by the passenger side dash speaker there are 2 connectors on the new harness, and 3 on the original.

The circled connectors is the area I'm talking about (pic of the new harness)

Does anyone know what these connectors are for? I figure I can probably splice the necessary connector from the old harness into the new one, however...

This is also making me question wither the pin-outs on this harness would be the same. The seller says in the post that it's probably from a JDM RS. Does anyone know offhand, or have pin out diagrams from a JDM car?

Thanks for your help guys.

ktmrider

My understanding is that the ECU location is different than the DSM 1g's which makes the cabin connections different.
Check the VFAQ, www.vfaq.com as there are some items for harness diffs and wire color variations.

Muskrat

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Both harnesses are for Galant VR-4's. The one I bought is for a JDM Galant VR-4 RS, or so the seller seems to think.

Hertz

Staff member
I think we're on the right track. I bet those are the instument cluster/dash connections.

strokin4dr

I not really sure what your question is, but those connectors should be the same on your stock harness. I'm not positive what they are for though (something in the dash:ac/heat, cluster, etc.). If you remove the passenger side dash speaker, you can see where these connectors are in the dash and remove them easily.

If you are going to use that JDM harness in a USDM car, it is going to take some serious work. The ecu is on the other side on the car so most of the wires are going to be too short or routed differently for the engine sensors. Is this the harness that the guy in Texas was selling a while back?

Here is a pic of those connectors on my harness when it was out of the car being "restored".

Muskrat

If you look in your picture, there are 3 plugs circled, a large white ne, a small white one, and a white and black one. On the harness I have There's the large white one and the small black and white one. The third plug is missing (was never there). Any idea what this goes to?

Yeah, this is the harness the guy from texas was selling a while back.

Last edited:

OldHairyBastard

Theywon't be too short but the wiring is a little different. Mine fits fine but I have a JDM ECU as well so it was all plug and play on my GS-X. All you have to do is switch a few pins but I don't know which ones.

Quote:
I not really sure what your question is, but those connectors should be the same on your stock harness. I'm not positive what they are for though (something in the dash:ac/heat, cluster, etc.). If you remove the passenger side dash speaker, you can see where these connectors are in the dash and remove them easily.

If you are going to use that JDM harness in a USDM car, it is going to take some serious work. The ecu is on the other side on the car so most of the wires are going to be too short or routed differently for the engine sensors. Is this the harness that the guy in Texas was selling a while back?

Here is a pic of those connectors on my harness when it was out of the car being "restored".

misterfixit

the two plugs you have circled link up to the body loom above the blower moter on the metal cross bar behind the dash.

The engine loom is powered through one connector, the second is all the comms out to the clocks and the fuse box and the wiper connections. The third missing plugs is populated with cruise actuator, electric steering and electric suspension connections.

On the usdm vr4 only 4 wires should run through it (cruise) on your car the third connector will be blue.

Rich

Muskrat

Ok, thanks. That helps alot.

Now I guess it's just a question of it the pin-outs are the same. If anyone has diagrams for a JDM car, they'd be much appreciated.

misterfixit

they are all layed out circiut by circuit, bit of a pita to assemble a list, but i'll have a look

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts