The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

SAFC install in GSR Dash Pod - Info Archive with Pics

steve

I know its been done a bunch of times, but here's a few pics. I couldn't find pics of the holes under the dash cover so I snapped one for future reference.

I used the Apexi mount but flipped it upside down and stuck it to the 'ceiling' of the pod:

And now I just have to secure the front of the pod, probably just at the corners, with some double sided autobody tape.

Another lunch hour well spent!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Polish

Awesome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I wish I got an actual lunch hour.

steve

Yeah, now I'm hungry though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif As an added bonus I fired up the car and let it run for a few minutes since it has been sitting for awhile. It started right up with the new battery setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CP

How the hell are you bolting/screwing the pod down securely? I can't see any way to get screws into those two little nubs that point downwards once the pod is mounted. So mine is just wedged in the hole, and is held in place by the edges of the dash plastic that I cut to fit.

4Grim

I have my SAFCII set up on my GSX center pod like SteveVR4 on mine. I mounted it a bit differently..but same concept. I removed the badge and relocated it on the passenger side of the dash. I don't have good pics right now..but I posted a video recently and you can see what I am talking about. The badge is just held on by a pretty adhesive...some time and patience it will come right off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Last edited:

steve

I moved the badge above the glove box like Cy did actually.

I didn't have to cut out that much of the dash. I could have just done the rear part of the recess, but when I started I wasn't sure how I was going to secure it. Its all covered anyways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cy, I am going to secure the front with double sided autobody tape, it is pretty damn strong. I had to trim some of the residue foam off the bottom edge of the pod, towards the rear, so that it wouldn't try to pop the front edge up. (red circled areas)
img.php

I also cut some foam out from under the vinyl around the back edge. It gives me a little more room in the back of the recess, without the risk of leaving any exposed dash showing. (red circled area)
img.php

CP

Got it...thanks for the tips Steve. I'll probably modify mine a bit this weekend then, and get some of that super gorilla tape soon.

As for the dash plaque, mine is mounted just ABOVE the glovebox, on that 5" verticle part of the dashboard. It looks like it was mounted there from the factory, and only GVR4 owners will be able to spot the discrepency.

CP

Sorry, but I'm having trouble reading this afternoon. Disregard all my posts, as you already answered them in your previous posts.

steve

I'm going to have to screw down an "L" bracket into the dash, up against the rear of the AFC. I don't want it to move in when I press the buttons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif The bolt that goes through the hinge on the Apexi bracket doesn't get tight enough to keep it from moving if you really push.

get to lower part of the pod thats what your missing to secure it. the best way is to get the complete pod and gut all the air suspension stuff out then just sandwich the afc between the 2 pieces. youll need a few small washers between the 2 pieces. but without the bottom part it will not secure properly.

turbowop

So what happens if you go with some other form of tuning in the future and no longer need the AFC? The reason I never cut up my dash for gauges or tuning electronics is because I change things too often. I'd hate to end up with a huge hole in my dash later on.

steve

Thats a valid point, but for me this is a DD street car, and I'm not going beyond the simple stuff. I know we all say that, but I've got enough responsibilities and little enough disposable $, to make me actually stick to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I guess I could put gauges in there if I "hypothetically" went bigger and ditched the SAFC one day.

OR, maybe a sweet setup like this? A 5.25" floppy disk to store the ECU code and make it easy to tune y0!!!!
img.php

Last edited by a moderator:

steve

So Hector, theres another piece of the pod that bolts into those angled bolt holes, and clips into the 3 clips along the front?

atc250r

Staff member
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif That pic is too much!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

There should be a bottom to the pod Steve. I'm sorry, I assumed you got the whole thing. As you tighten the bottom it will "pinch" the SAFC in place. If I go to a stand alone I am DEFINITELY putting a 5.25" floppy drive in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

John

steve

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Yeah I didn't realize there was a bottom. I think it will hold up fine this way, I've got a metal L bracket to brace it from the dash.

So what kind of pod is this ?? i want one like that to put 2 gauges in and cant find anything anywhere... ANy help would be useful..

Also.. looks good!

steve

Matt, this is an OEM suspension pod from the Galant GSR. It originally housed the electronic adjustable suspension controls on those cars. I think they are also found in some G-GS's.

Quote:
Looks great Besso! What is plugged into your cig lighter?

Matt, this is an OEM suspension pod from the Galant GSR. It originally housed the electronic adjustable suspension controls on those cars. I think they are also found in some G-GS's.

DOes any company make something this or is this something id have to find on ebay as a used part from one of the gsr/g-gs?

steve

Quote:
Quote:
Looks great Besso! What is plugged into your cig lighter?

DOes any company make something this or is this something id have to find on ebay as a used part from one of the gsr/g-gs?

OEM, in other words, Mitsu. Check the part# thread in our How-To section, it may have it. I think you can still get these brand new. Otherwise, you can buy from someone on the board if you can't find one in the yard yourself.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts