The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I'll ask about suspension again (just to tick you off)

It looks like I need to replace my struts. I'm eying the Hot Bits group buy because they would be super sweet. But they may be too pricey for me.

First, if I get the Hot Bits without the mounts, what do I loose?

Second, should I just replace my struts and if so with what?

Third, what are my other options that are easy to get?

blacksheep

On the 4th wheel, I'll pimp my upper mounts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No seriously, folks! Someone please help us out!

I think the shock choice is the most important factor. See previous posts by our resident shock therapist, Larry Parker. He does custom valving and rebuilds them and has credible opinions.

Next, I think coil over springs are better for year-around flexibilty as well as more aggressive hadling if you want in the future. AFCO coils are only $60 each at Summit

I thought these were NLA
ppt tein ha

These are about the same price as the hot bits but come with mounts. Is it an old data base or the wrong part?

My budget depends on what I am buying. To start, out of the good parts, I go for what is cheapest. If it isn't that much more for something better, I'll get the better one.

That being said, like everyone else, I love having the best.

edit...

That was just a complicated way of saying I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

G

Staff member
Quote:
I thought these were NLA
ppt tein ha

These are about the same price as the hot bits but come with mounts. Is it an old data base or the wrong part?

you may get lucky & find someone who still has a set in stock, but not likely. but they are nla, not even special order from tein jp.
you have to order the 1g dsm awd ss set & then order the e39a upper pillow/camber plates & swap them or you won't have camber adjustment.

Seriously, I don't really know how much to spend on a good suspension or even what a god suspension is. I think KC said it best when he called me stupid. I would absolutely love all the adjust-ability of the hot bits. But I'm not sure my car is worth an $1800 suspension. I could cut that cost down a bit if I went without mounts, but I'm not even sure what that means. Is it just the adjust-ability for an alignment that I would lose or is there more?

If those tein HAs I linked to are in stock, I could get them with mounts for $1350 +shipping. But I have not seen any comparisons between teins and hotbits. Also I don't know how to compare tein SS to hot bits either.

What I don't want to do is spend money and wish I got either something cheaper or something better. I just want to know I got something that was good and worth it.

atc250r

Staff member
I may be a neanderthal when it comes to this stuff but I am delighted with the results of my AGX/Evo spring combo. They were great before but now with all urethane bushings (front and rear) and a 1" rear swaybar (Suspension Techniques $150) the car is like a whole different animal than stock. If you want to corner on a budget then this is really a great option.

John

cheekychimp

Paul,
The thing about adjustable supension is it is of limited value if you don't use it, i.e. adjust it. Guys who compete and know how to setup their suspension would probably NEVER buy anything that did not give them adjustability everywhere and they will exploit the advantage of that by twiddling with their settings dependent upon different courses, road surfaces and possibly even the weather.

I won't say adjustability is of no use to you if you don't know how to use it. You could learn or you could take your car to be setup by someone who knows what they are doing. But even then, for a street car you will be setting things up for a bit of a compromise. It will probably not be hard enough for billiard table flat top because you need some comfort on that potholed lane that runs behind your house. It won't be lowered enough for the best centre of gravity because you need to clear those speed humps outside the office.

It will allow you to mess around until you get to a point that suits your preferences. The real question is whether something like John has suggested is going to be so far off the mark for you that you need to be able to adjust things to your preference. You cannot under any circumstances disregard the difference a good suspension setup makes to a car's handling, BUT if you buy an adjustable setup and then either don't adjust it or fail to adjust it properly for the road conditions you are using; you are quite literally throwing money down the drain.

Paul.

Edit: FWIW I bought the Hotbits rally setup before they came with the 40 step adjustment. I bought *standard poly bushings without camber adjustment and no pillow mounts. Like I said, I would never underestimate the value of well tuned suspension but I know I won't use it. I found the stock settings on this car to be awesome on the street and I'm in no rush to change them.

Last edited:

number3

Turbowop and I (number3) are thrilled with our Tein HAs. We bought them before the Hotbits time.

Larry loves the Hotbits and has the knowledge to back it up. HA are not available anymore and the Hotbits are.

Seems like the Hotbits are now the ticket in adjustable coilovers.

I think it is an obvious choice if you want coilovers.

Quote:
Paul,
The thing about adjustable supension is it is of limited value if you don't use it, i.e. adjust it. Guys who compete and know how to setup their suspension would probably NEVER buy anything that did not give them adjustability everywhere and they will exploit the advantage of that by twiddling with their settings dependent upon different courses, road surfaces and possibly even the weather.

I won't say adjustability is of no use to you if you don't know how to use it. You could learn or you could take your car to be setup by someone who knows what they are doing. But even then, for a street car you will be setting things up for a bit of a compromise. It will probably not be hard enough for billiard table flat top because you need some comfort on that potholed lane that runs behind your house. It won't be lowered enough for the best centre of gravity because you need to clear those speed humps outside the office.

It will allow you to mess around until you get to a point that suits your preferences. The real question is whether something like John has suggested is going to be so far off the mark for you that you need to be able to adjust things to your preference. You cannot under any circumstances disregard the difference a good suspension setup makes to a car's handling, BUT if you buy an adjustable setup and then either don't adjust it or fail to adjust it properly for the road conditions you are using; you are quite literally throwing money down the drain.

This was kinda my thinking when I decided not to get the adj pillow mounts with my Hotbits. I've driven the car 12 years without adj pillow mounts, have only a vague idea as to what they do and I know I wouldn't really be using them. (Money was NOT the issue - I just don't like spending money for something I will not use)

cheekychimp

Quote:
This was kinda my thinking when I decided not to get the adj pillow mounts with my Hotbits. I've driven the car 12 years without adj pillow mounts, have only a vague idea as to what they do and I know I wouldn't really be using them. (Money was NOT the issue - I just don't like spending money for something I will not use)

Steve,
I applaud your honesty and frankly I feel exactly the same. I know factory suspension and settings aren't maximised for performance, but they have been good enough for me so far and give good even tyre wear. I see no reason to mess with that, and if I'm not, then where the hell is the point in spending money on 'adjustables' that I'll leave in the stock default position?

It's like buying a 5.1 surround sound system and only listening to stereo !!!

Paul.

Ted Andkilde

There are a couple of additional benefits to pillow mounts over the factory rubbers that don't get mentioned very often.

The rubber flexes as the suspension is compressed, this flex is "undamped", or outside of the control of the shocks -- not necessarily a tragedy but it can result in funny suspension oscillations that can't be tuned out.

Pillow balls are "free", that is they allow the strut to pivot freely and eliminate sideloading. Sideloading can cause "stiction" (suspension can't move up and down smoothly) or damage the shock or strut insert which is designed, primarily, to handle up/down loads.

The adjustability is an added bonus, being able to adjust camber at both the top and bottom of the strut can gain you a little bit more tire clearance.

Cheers, Ted

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts