GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » General VR4 Discussions » Re: The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's
Previous thread Next thread

Re: The ultimate street galant in the making? Cheekychimp's

Romanova
the coolest person to ever post in the past 2 hours

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 283922 posted 12/09/05 04:49 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Paul
Uh... how about a picture of the car that all these parts are going into? You keep teasing us with these parts but I don't think I've ever seen your car.

tyler
2016 Explorer PI
2006 LS430
2012 GX460

Posts: 3854 | From: Cypress, TX | Member Since: 08/07/02 | IP: (69.153.221.50) | Report this post to a Moderator

curtis Galant VR4.org Moderator
Space Blanket from NASA plumbed into the attic
475/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 284081 posted 12/10/05 10:30 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

I want a set of those damn headlights.

Guys I'm not holding out on anything I've had more than a dozen people PM me about building them a set. It all comes down to cost. I have one board member now that wants a set and is sending me a set of JDM's with city lights and 93 to put the 93 lens on. Along with two sets of the big high beams like Paul's but want have strobes but extra fogs. I've just saw that the 93 lens want fit JDms but I'll have to see.

Anyway what it takes.
1. 1 set of 89-92 backplates
2. 1 set of 93 lens
3. 1 set of fogs for the high beams
4. 1 set of fogs for the low.
5. A desision to be made on what type of bulbs, paint color (exterior and interior), bolts, hardware, sealant and time.

I build things for people almost every week. I just finish school and haven't really did anything but stuff in the garage. I'm going to have to get a job or buy some equipment and go into business for myself. Va footed the bill due to my disablity and are on my ass but I didn't swear an oath with them. I have a BS in Engineering Technology with a consentration in Manufacturing and another consentration in Robotics. I've talked to the people at Disney in Florida but its about a 6 month ordeal which will put it starting in the summer when my daughter is out of school. It all comes down to leaving my comfort zone and I like my house but hate this town and also the small amount that employers pay engineer types here. My neighbor was making in the 30's and was constantly getting layed off but now works at steak and shake and makes almost 65 as a manager what gives?

If anyone wants a set of lights I have time I just don't have the supplies. 89-92 backplates I can get but 93's are hard to come by. Also fogs are of your selection BUT I want build them identical to mine or Paul's, Mine because there a PITA to mount the assembles, and to cut the lens down and Paul's because I gave him my word that I wouldn't build a set for anyone else that looks like his. Custom is Custom and I don't blame him and I am a man of my word which is kind of rare now days but thats the way it is.

If any of you want a set built I need the 89-92's , 93 lens and 2 sets of sometype of fog lights along with 250 including shipping (if you use a credit card add 3% paypal nazi charge) back to you I supply all hardware, sealants, and paint. This way it is cheaper on everybody and I don't have to run all over middle TN looking for parts. Gas is expensive along with the wasted days of running all over getting the stuff. I have probably 100 hours in just PM's back in forth to Paul about his lights and COP but it was worth it.

I can build a set in about a week. It's time consuming and alot of things have to be taken into account. Lens placement and mounting, modifications to the fogs, aiming, focal points, cleaning, prep, paint, dry time, and my favorite thing scraping all the old glue off. I treat things I build like there going on my car so don't worry about me doing it half ass. I learned that from being an ARMY aircraft crewchief and civilian fixed wing mechanic. People die when things are not perfect.

Ebay is your best friend when it comes to fog lights and design ideas also one of the guys that asked about a set linked me to susquehania motorsports (spelling?) which sell rally stuff and projectors. Play around on ebay with all the different brands and words like projector, I hate to say it but honda lights, and hid's.

If any of you want a set built get me the stuff and send it when I'm done I'll send pictures and expect to be payed then by paypal or by money order but paypal is quicker and they'll take your credit card. I don't like to be screwed with when it comes to stuff. It's just like selling parts on the board If you want them buy them but don't kick tires and waste my time, I type slow and could be doing other things instead, like reading posts here.

Curtis

One more thing the first white car owner that contacts me be forwarned I want to do a set in gloss white.

92 GVR4 0475/1000
Greenhouse Effect Green
Exceeds Mechanical Limits
"Put the dawg to work.
Ass, Gas or Milkbones. Nobody rides for free" Jon AKA Toybreaker

Edited by curtis (12/10/05 05:23 PM)

Posts: 11891 | From: Clarksville TN | Member Since: 05/04/03 | IP: (65.135.143.221) | Report this post to a Moderator

475/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 284160 posted 12/10/05 05:21 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
7500 hits insane. This thing better be built before it hits 10000 or we're coming over to whip your arse and collect your toys.

Sure your not just sitting and opening and closing this thread to build up the numbers. I beleave this would fall at least 3 knocks higher than Post whoring.

92 GVR4 0475/1000
Greenhouse Effect Green
"Put the dawg to work.

Posts: 11891 | From: Clarksville TN | Member Since: 05/04/03 | IP: (65.135.143.238) | Report this post to a Moderator

quasimondo
Running on Empty

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 299901 posted 01/28/06 07:47 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
What's going on with this project? Haven't heard about it in a while.

"This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

Posts: 3680 | From: Nairobi, Kenya | Member Since: 06/06/04 | IP: (68.45.40.38) | Report this post to a Moderator

cheekychimp Galant VR4.org Moderator
Director of Housing and Urban Development, and carbon/kevlar balls

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 299929 posted 01/28/06 09:15 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Seam welding is in progress. It's been a bit slow recently. It has been bad timing. We hit Xmas not long after the delivery and then Chinese New Year literally weeks after that. Some businesses close up for three weeks at Chinese New Year so as you can imagine it can put a damper on things.

We also had some setbacks. Paulo's second trunk got roughed up again on the way to Curtis for some fabrication. You wouldn't believe the state it was in when it arrived and Paulo put this one in a crate. We decided that perhaps under the circumstances this isn't a good idea. These things evidently don't travel well and it has a hell of a long way to come to reach Hong Kong. So I'll probably have to get the trunk made locally but that has left us with the problem of how to fabricate some of the rear end goodies without a trunk. Like I said ... setbacks.

The computer stuff is getting there. The cage is due for transplanting next week, which will be a big leap forward. On board solid state video recorder should be ready in early February and the on board cameras (all three) are already in my hands.

The 'sample' interior panel came back from the UK last week after being flocked by the guys who kit out the Ford WRC cars. It looks awesome, so I'm sending off the rest of the interior to get done next week. Centre console, glove box, steering column surround, kick panels, A,B and C pillars, trim pieces etc. It's not cheap but it looks damn good. You can see pics in the "My dashboard is really annoying me" thread.

Getting old sucks ... but it sure beats the alternative !!!

Edited by cheekychimp (01/28/06 09:20 PM)

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (218.189.72.4) | Report this post to a Moderator

Besso
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 299933 posted 01/28/06 09:24 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

These things evidently don't travel well

Tell me about it...
I still love you (No--HoMo) though, Paul.

Got some info on the F1 stuff so I'll try and PM you ASAP

| | | IP: (69.164.89.221) | Report this post to a Moderator

Garfield Wright
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 299958 posted 01/28/06 10:19 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

You can see pics in the "My dashboard is really annoying me" thread.

I'm linking this thread for reference My Dashboard is Really Annoying Me Thread

| | | IP: (66.174.79.232) | Report this post to a Moderator

turboflanagan
I would give myself something respectable.
478/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 300586 posted 01/30/06 07:52 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
If he crates one, what if he put a thick plastic bag over a section, sprayes some Great Stuff on it as a padding for shipping. Then when it gets there, just peel the bag of thick foam padding off and voila... cf rice, imean, uh, po-po bling, er whatever.

Not quite 1400whp.

Posts: 2549 | From: Peachtree Corners, Georgia, US... | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (24.99.174.94) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 300680 posted 01/30/06 10:43 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Yeah Curtis recommended expansion foam, but I think Paulo has just had enough of this and has lost money on both these trunks already. We'll probably rig everything up on a stock trunk and go from there. We'll figure something out, don't worry.

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (219.78.153.116) | Report this post to a Moderator

Street Surgeon
Professor Street Surgeon
501/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 300997 posted 01/31/06 02:18 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Yikes, huge thread you've got here!!! You definitely have the parts, now it's time to get em in the car

Cory O.
'92 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 501/1000
Heavily modified, barely driven, some assembly required.

Posts: 941 | From: Omaha, Nebraska | Member Since: 03/03/04 | IP: (131.43.10.190) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 333364 posted 04/29/06 01:12 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Well it has taken some time, there have been a few setbacks and we are still waiting on a few difficult to source items but finally, finally we are making some progress.

Harry's brackets came in ... I asked him to send me a pair of just the brackets for his harness bar. We shortened the 'ears' on them and drilled some new holes to match placement of the manual belts. As soon as we get around to welding a bracket onto the roll bar we will have yet another chassis fixing point for the half roll cage. I know it wouldn't pass tech at the track but it will significantly increase the chassis rigidity which was what it was really about anyway.

The dash and all interior trim is going in a crate on Monday to get 'flocked'. Yes the whole interior from pillar trims, to dash, to kick panels is getting the WRC treatment.

The water pipe is being modified as we speak. It will no longer run behind the exhaust manifold and turbo picking up unwanted heat and then entering the radiator 'directly below' the top hose. The new section will come down straight beside the water pump and alternator and run into the radiator on that side avoiding the turbo and exhaust manifold (more room to fit the turbo) and improving flow across the new Evo III Koyo radiator.

Got some of this to solve my intercooler woes

And it looks pretty good installed on this AMG grille I had lying around

After that I got down to playing with Curtis' lights. Do you think this will be enough firepower?

That's FIVE yes I said FIVE sets of HIDs

HB4s and HB3s for the main lights and projectors and H3s for the Projector Fogs

And they look pretty good mounted

The ballast units are nice and shiny and come with plug and play connectors and nice mounting brackets

Fitting the bulbs in the Projector Fogs isn't easy. It is a lot more cramped down there

I didn't want to lose these waterproof caps

So I had to get creative

in order to keep things waterproof

I'm still not 100% happy with it. The grommet is still pushing against the back of the bulb there. I had to trim off all the heat wrap to get it to fit as well which isn't ideal, but at least it is waterproof. Anyway I'll test the fitted bulb and make sure it works and that there are no pinched wires or damaged connections and if it is okay I'll do the other side. Those are the projectors by the way. The fogs are going to be even more difficult. The amber lens that Curtis put in may well not allow the HID bulbs (which are longer) to fit. If they don't I can make up a spacer but that will also lift the back of the bulb even higher making it very unlikely that the dust caps will fit. If that happens I'll have to make a modified grommet that will allow the back of the bulb with the heat wrap on it to poke through and use some silicone sealant or something to keep everything watertight. I'll get there.

Picked up a damn near perfect Galant GTi rack so I can just rip all the 4WS stuff out and never have to worry about blocking off lines. Also got a really rusty bar with brackets on for fitting the skid plate. I have to give it back, the owner just lent it to me to use as a model to fabricate mine from. But that's cool. It gives me a good excuse to make mine out of stainless ...

Well that's the progress for today. We'll see what Monday brings !!!

Paul.

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (219.78.148.172) | Report this post to a Moderator

475/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 333776 posted 05/01/06 09:08 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

Yikes, huge thread you've got here!!! You definitely have the parts, now it's time to get em in the car

This a warning to all drivers in the 100 k/m area of the front of Paul's car ...wear protective eye wear
Also Paul build a bus for all the power wires and also a ground bus before you run to the relays for the hid power supplies. It will keep the voltage the same through out and be less of a chance of fire. This will also keep the lights the identical voltage and color.
Relays are cheap and you could even use a factory under hood fuse box from a VR4 and use the relays in it. Factory clean. I just used one for the Passat fans last week. With all the electronics under my desk than I'll be shipping you It wouldn't hurt buying 3.
Don't ask peeps..........It's top secret.

Glad to hear that everything is going together and wish I could be there to help out. I promise to PM about the tails this week and talk about what to ship now and later.

92 GVR4 0475/1000
Greenhouse Effect Green
"Put the dawg to work.

Posts: 11891 | From: Clarksville TN | Member Since: 05/04/03 | IP: (65.135.143.24) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 347024 posted 06/06/06 01:48 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Progress Report!

Well I got all the HIDs in eventually and they work. I'm still worried about the ones behind the amber lenses shifting. Curtis is going to send me a Lexus bulb fitting to see if I can modify that, but for now the fogs are functional.

The stainless support for the skid plate is done but yet to be picked up (my 'other' VR4 crapped out on me and is still waiting to be fixed).

Stoptech e-mailed me and said the front discs are finally on their way after some quality control issue, so massive 380 mm rotors should be here on the 9th June.

The dash, centre console, glovebox, Centre Dash Gauge Pod, Handbrake cover and all interior trim (B and C pillars, seat belt trims, sills and seat handles etc) are all back from being flocked by Ford's factory rally car flocking installation and will be delivered Saturday.

We were getting too close to comfort on the June 20th "DEREGISTRATION" deadline, so I chickened out on stripping the car and took some friend's advice and put it back together stock and got it tested and licensed this week. This takes the pressure off and means we won't have to rush the build up. I think we were pushing it a bit to be honest as there are still a few gaps in the inventory.

Anyway I'll get the 'before' pictures this week and try to keep on top of the build up.

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (220.246.240.90) | Report this post to a Moderator

Garfield Wright
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 347075 posted 06/06/06 03:24 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
can't wait to see. I feel sorry for anyone just seeing this thread. They won't be able to read all the history behind the 'Ultimate' but I think they'll get the picture eventually. Keep on plugging Paul. Oh and goodmorning

| | | IP: (66.176.231.122) | Report this post to a Moderator

Ender
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 347379 posted 06/07/06 10:23 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Oh my! That is one amazing build up!

This is what happens when I sold my VR4 and left the board for a year. Sheesh!!! I will readily admit that I am now very, very jealous. You are one lucky individual! I did not read a whole lot of the 16 pages but I am guessing the build is taking place in Hong Kong? If so that is pretty awsome that people are shipping parts to you and helping out!

The in-car computer is trick! I see why there are all of the James Bond comments. I can not wait to see a finished project! Keep up the good work!

| | | IP: (131.247.70.25) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348367 posted 06/09/06 10:32 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Brake Discs !!!

Or if you prefer a graphic representation ...

The flocking won't be here until next week. I chickened out of the delivery today as we have had thunderstorms and flooding here for days ... of course after cancelling the delivery it didn't rain

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (219.78.152.252) | Report this post to a Moderator

464/2K
<3s Rance and self distrusts
464/2000
1025/2000
553/1000
788/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348377 posted 06/09/06 11:25 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
heeeey i see you got your hair back! OMG those rotors are nuts!

_Ricky-
464/2000
788/1000
'95 Lancer Evolution III

2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

Posts: 4671 | From: Denver,Co | Member Since: 10/21/03 | IP: (24.8.52.7) | Report this post to a Moderator

steve Galant VR4.org Administrator
Key Fob Guy

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348408 posted 06/10/06 07:30 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
No Paul has got a head like Beetlejuice at the end of the movie.

I know it's a foreign idea for most of us here, but you might want to try taking the car off jackstands.
-mitsuturbo

Posts: 18895 | From: NJ | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (24.149.159.155) | Report this post to a Moderator

Hertz Galant VR4.org Administrator
OneTitle to rule them all.
77/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348485 posted 06/10/06 01:43 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Here's the original image:

Ryan Hertz

Posts: 13500 | From: Chicago, IL | Member Since: 07/29/02 | IP: (24.14.17.80) | Report this post to a Moderator

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348585 posted 06/10/06 11:12 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      

Posts: 7315 | From: East Sussex, U.K. | Member Since: 04/19/04 | IP: (219.78.152.252) | Report this post to a Moderator

Key Fob Guy

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348610 posted 06/11/06 07:18 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
LOL OMFG

I know it's a foreign idea for most of us here, but you might want to try taking the car off jackstands.
-mitsuturbo

Posts: 18895 | From: NJ | Member Since: 09/11/03 | IP: (24.149.159.155) | Report this post to a Moderator

quasimondo
Running on Empty

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348675 posted 06/11/06 06:07 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I spit lemonade all over my monitor.

"This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

Posts: 3680 | From: Nairobi, Kenya | Member Since: 06/06/04 | IP: (68.45.40.38) | Report this post to a Moderator

Key Fob Guy

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348702 posted 06/11/06 08:15 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
... earlier, in downtown Hong Kong... Cheeky Cheek shows off the Bling Bling to his homies... yo.

-mitsuturbo

MX4
Member +++

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348751 posted 06/12/06 12:24 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
that is all class

Mitsubishi Galant VR4
12.692 @ 107.40 mph

Posts: 762 | From: New Zealand | Member Since: 04/09/01 | IP: (222.152.174.126) | Report this post to a Moderator

Jase
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 348758 posted 06/12/06 05:19 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
lol steve that is quality

| | | IP: (202.6.138.43) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: << 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26>>
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 65834

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.24 seconds in which 0.138 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page