The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Update on 1915

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything on here, so I decided to give an update on progress. I'll be the first to admit I didn't do enough thinking when I decided to pick this car up, and I've had a number of issues I didn't plan on. But I'm planning on sticking with the car and making it as good as I can.

Since my last post I've picked up my replacement windshield, and got it installed. I ended up having to purchase new rear calipers, rotors and pads (the e-brake now works, since the old calipers were seized). New spark plugs, valve cover gasket (I went ahead and painted the valve cover since it looked awful, along with many things in the engine bay). If you go back to my very first post, I'd say the engine bay has made quite an improvement. Along with touching up the engine bay, the old SSR Type C's looked very beat up, so I decided to give them a new coat of paint and new stickers (they didn't turn out as nice as I'd hoped for). I repainted the wiper arms and cowl, along with other things I've probably forgetting. I'll also be changing out the transmission and diff fluid before my maiden voyage with redline gear oil since I've heard good things about them.

I'll hopefully have the car safety inspected soon, and on the road within the next couple weeks. I'll happily accept any tips and tricks with these cars as I'm still incredibly new to them.

G

Staff member
Looks sweet, kind of weird they put 3 bolt patterns on the wheel.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Looking good so far.

ApexHunter

Huh, that IS weird. They must use the same forging dies or whatever, and then just drill them with different programs or fixtures or however...
Anyway, good wheel choice, and glad to hear you are sticking with it.

So it's been almost exactly 3 months since I've done any kind of update, thought now would be a good time since a fair amount has changed.

Even more bad news was found with the car, the small hole that was by where the sub frame bolts up to wasn't so small after digging away at it. There is also a hole under the carpet I was aware of either (all of this wouldn't have happened if previous owners fixed issues instead of just ignoring them). Underneath of the car is now fixed and is structurally sound, I left the inside to be done at my house to save on shop costs.

Another big thing that was tackled was the hood. This seems to be a problem on the hoods of these cars, and mine was quite bad. One of the previous owners decided filling the rust with seem sealer was a good way of fixing it, which in the end just made it hold more moisture.

So I cut out all I could, grinned down the rest and used some acid rust converter. After that I used to tremclad oil based rust paint to seal it. My father welded a patch in for the lip, and I shaped it the best I could with body filler, then sealed the underside of the lip with seam sealer.

Aside from all that, I found clips for the dogleg trim and got those back on, as well as some seam sealer to help keep them on. Got new hardware for the side skirts since the old screws were very rusted, cleaned up more things in the engine bay, changed the diff oil, trans oil, and transfer case oil, and did a complete interior clean.

I've grown to really love this car, but even with that said, knowing what I know now about the car I never would have got it. I could keep going on about things I've found wrong/shitty work previous owners have done, but I guess that's what you get with a 27 year old car with 203k on it. Some things that I've had to fix, the last owner definitely new about, but just never told me, but there's nothing I can do about it now. It's all fixed for the most part now anyway, and now I can rest easy knowing the ins and outs of what I won't have to worry about with the car.

The rest of the photos are the car at present day, sadly I didn't get it finished before the end of the season like I hoped I would, but at least it'll be completely straightened out for spring. In the near future the hood will get resprayed, and I'd like to get the bumpers done as well.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
All good work you are getting done.

I had to do similar to my hood on my 92, but it wasn't quite that bad. Exterior was mostly ok, but I had to rebuild the inside with fiberglass.

So it's been a while again since I've updated on the car. A lot has gotten done since then. The passenger side floor is repaired and painted, all put back together. I touched up the front bumper due to all the hideous black chips (not perfect but looks much better than black on white). I adjusted the clutch pedal since it was grabbing right off the floor (that adjustment screw is a pain in the ass to get to, but it's much better now). Finally got the hood painted after sitting with primer on it for far too long. The body work I did replacing the lip and shaping it isn't perfect, but I didn't want to try and build the lip out of body filler for it to just end up cracking off, so I'll deal with a bit crooked of a lip (worlds better than the gaping hole it had haha). Touched up a number of things in the engine bay. The before and after is pretty good on that, I can't get it too much better unless I take the engine out and paint the bay, which I may do in the future, who knows.

This car has for sure went through a number of owners who just didn't care to fix all the little things, and I think it's sat around for a long time not being driven before I got it. I'm very happy to say that over the past year I've really brought it back to life. After driving it around all yesterday it slowly felt better the more I drove it. It's a quick car, I don't really know how far it is from stock, the amount of history I have on it is very minimal and vague, but it keeps up with my friends 2013 STI with only an exhaust (which I'm sure he's not happy about lol).

I'm very satisfied with it, but it's definitely too quiet, and is in dire need of new suspension. All the pics below are some of the work getting done, and some I took from its maiden voyage.

Thanks for reading and I'll post more once I've done enough and I feel it deserves to be posted!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Thanks for sharing your progress and making an update.

So it's been a while again, but a number of things on the car has changed. I got new tires for the 16x7 Speedline Prodrive ST2's and put them on, absolutely love them. Removed the cruise control unit and put in a non cruise cable (WAY better throttle response and better drive ability overall). Got a (new to me) steering wheel off of a JDM 1992 WRX, matches my Momo shift knob. I don't have a picture but I also took the heat shield off again and sprayed in black with high temp paint (the white started to turn brown, looked terrible).

I purchased a factory rear window visor from someone who parts out Galants on Instagram, I'm incredibly excited to get that and put it on (not sure if I paid too much for it or not, all I know is they're quite rare and I really wanted it). As far as future plans go, I'm looking to get a set of BC Racing coilovers, since my current suspension is terrible, and I'm getting a boost leak test done since I'm pretty sure I'm leaking boost at 5,000+ RPMs.

That's it for now, I'll do updates as they come!

G

Staff member
Sweet visor, how much was it?

Wow, so it's been quite a while, long over due for an update. Even though I've been completely silent on here, I've been pretty busy with the VR4. At the end of the season from my last post, so around August/September 2019, a power steering line leak became too bad on the car to logically drive it around, so I ended up parking it for the small amount left of last season, and fixed the line just before the start of spring this year.

Since my last update, I've done a fair amount to the VR4.

BC Racing BR coilovers
1G DSM shift lever (quite a bit shorter than the VR4 shift lever, feels great too, amazing mod)
Installed the OEM factory option rear window visor from the Japanese spec VR4's/Galants
3000GT VR4 4 pot calipers (which includes 2G VR4 rotors, pads, and Volk Metalcraft brackets, I already had SS brake lines on all four corners)
Some new to me 17" wheels to clear the new big brakes, along with some modified spacers to fit the Galants hub bore (had a machine shop bore them out to 67.1mm)
Boring things such as some new belts, rear universal joint, random bushings, etc

This is the most I've modified a car, mostly since it's the longest I've owned a specific car. I still have zero intentions on selling/trading the car, I absolutely love it. I used to trade off cars pretty quickly and move onto the next, but this one has really stuck with me. The brakes work great, and stop very hard. The new coils tightened the car up, huge difference from the old wore out suspension it had before.

I'm sure the color on the calipers isn't for everyone, but I either plan on doing these wheels bronze, or getting another set next season, just a cool color scheme I like. Anyway, that's my update, it's probably poorly organized, but oh well. More mods to come, it'll be never ending with this car, I can tell. Here's a few pics!

JNR

Car looks good, although IMO probably look even better with the pillars painted black, like stock. Probably 'cause I'm not used to seeing it that way, but looks kind of funny body color there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts