The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake rebuild.

gvr4ever

Has anyone ever rebuilt the brake calipers themselves? If so, how hard was it?

Where did you source the parts?

bobdole

If you are doing rear. Mitsubishi offer rebuild kits.

When I did mine.

Spyder

Does the rebuild kit come with new pistons? Or is it mainly the parking brake assembly that rusts and seizes?

Dan D

Not particularly hard to do. The service manual shows parts and order nicely. Biggest point is to watch what tools you use to pull and install seals. You don't want to scratch up the sliding bits. Don't go at it with a screwdriver. Have some seal pullers, plastic or round nose prys, good snap ring pliers at your disposal and it's not a problem.

bobdole

Quoting Spyder:
Does the rebuild kit come with new pistons? Or is it mainly the parking brake assembly that rusts and seizes?

No just seals.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Also, if the p-brake rotational part is stuck, it may not be feasible to rebuild them yourself. I tried to do that on one, and could not get the rusted part out.

89Mirageman

Agreed, if anything is stuck on them I'd use them as cores. Or just buy a nice working pair and replace them completely.

Spyder

The upper slide pin on mine can let me rotate the caliper up but won't slide out. Trying to overcome that. YAY!!!

thomcasey

This ^^^^. If anything, the hammer will break up the swollen and crunchy rubber (now petrified) grommet on the end of that pin and help it come off

HadesOmega

Is possible to just buy a whole rebuilt caliper for the rear? I bought one for the front when I had a stuck piston.

Spyder

I have chased these parts for months. Spoken with several parts shops and no one has them. I could use NAPA but they said I would have to send in my calipers, have them rebuild them and ship them back, hoping they don't get lost.

I have found a used set that look good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts