The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

car not cranking at all :(

vr4diehl

Alright, so a lot happened here and try to follow along:

-Last weekend, my vr4 started up
-this weekend the vr4 didn't start at all, didn't try to crank or do anything
-took out the starter and got it tested at AutoZone
-tested bad so I bought a brand new one
-Made sure all the connections weren't rusty or anything so I sanded connections and make sure they weren't all gunky and disgusting
-Plugged everything in, the battery still read correctly and everything was connected properly
-Car STILL doesn't crank at all, but all the lights, sounds, fans and fuel pump all turn on and stuff

Does anyone please have any suggestions at all? would help immensely

Eztoril

Does it do anything? Any noises or clicking? Do the lights dim when trying to start? Is this a "NEW" starter or reman unit? I had a similar problem and it was fixed by sanding the ground wire locations for the starter. How old is the battery?

vr4diehl

When I put the new starter in, on the first try there was a single click and every try after that nothing. All the lights, radio, and rad fans turn on and work just fine, no dimming or anything. The battery is relatively new and the starter is new, got it from autozone. I sanded and cleaned all of the connections, maybe I didn't do a good enough job, I'll check them again later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

mr.mitsu

Did you try jumping the terminals at the starter?

There should be 3 connections. Jump the constant 12v and the smaller one.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Lots of good advice above

With the age of these cars, there are a few folks who have already been down this road (on foot, because their junk wouldn;t start /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

There are a bunch of old threads on this topic.

here's one with pics

Good luck, and please post up what fixes your issue.

slugsgomoo

I recommend having that disconnected anyway. While I don't generally worry about crankwalk, not loading the thrust bearing with no oil pressure (especially if you run a heavy single disk clutch) just seems like a good way to reduce wear & tear.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts