The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Have to turn the key about 50 times to start the car sometimes.

4dr_vr4

About 40% of the time, I have to keep on turning the key to start the vehicle. I don't hear the starter relay clicking. I do hear something that sounds like a wave sloshing around from the front of the car when this is happening.

I have never been stranded due to this and it has been going on for about the last 3 years.

I have not acted sooner since the vehicle is always down for one reason or another. I have used several different batteries, new battery terminals, and have swapped the ECU out....none of this was done to troubleshoot this but rather for other reasons over time.

Thanks for any help!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Ignition switch? Starter itself (worn contacts)? It eventually always starts?

Could even be a battery cable that is corroded internally and has trouble passing the current. Had this on my Volvo decades ago.

Not sure what the wave sound might be... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4dr_vr4

Lol! Thanks for the help. Gives me a few ideas to go on. Ignition switch. Will a 1g ignition switch work? I have a few 1g's laying around that I can try but in the end don't I need to use a different key?

...and yep eventually always starts.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The key cylinder is removable so you can keep the same key. I think 1g parts should be interchangeable as they were made by Tokai Rika. The switch part with the contacts is attached to the back and I think you can change that separately too.

AllanL

starter may need to be cleaned or the solenoid replaced.
sloshing may be the solenoid just turning...

mitsuturbo

I struggled with this for quite a while. I finally found that if i supplied 12v directly to the solenoid signal wire from under the hood, it would crank every time.
I wound up putting a relay under the hood for this wire. Ignition sends a signal to the relay now, which closes the circuit to a battery post. No more issues.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts