GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
NOTICE: This forum is for archiving information and discussions. Please do not reply to threads unless you have valuable information to add. Do not post questions or problems here.

Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » How To and Info Archive » Center Console Removal
Previous thread Next thread

Center Console Removal

KoR32t4g
48/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1224435 posted 02/19/16 05:34 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
If this topic has already been covered, which I'm sure it has at some point, I apologize. I did some searches on console removal and the only thing that I could find was a how to text thread. As this was helpful, I thought maybe pictures would make it easier to understand. I have never removed a Galant console so this may not be the proper way to do it, but it worked for me. Hope this can help someone!

The easiest way to access everything is by sliding the seats all the way back. You will need to start by removing the two screws and the plastic push rivet on the side of the console (all of the bolt removals will be mirrored on the other side).

Slide the plastic cover forward and set aside. Behind the cover you will need to remove three bolts, two closer to the firewall

and one near the floor.

I suggest being very careful as these screws are easy to strip. One was already stripped and I tried cutting it to fit a flat head, this didn't work. Vice grips were my only option.

You then want to remove the radio bezel, this is pretty simple, it should just pull right off.

Remove the four screws holding in the radio cage. Slide the whole assembly out and disconnect the radio.

Take off the shift knob and boot.

Once you have done this you can then reach underneath the power mirror switch, pop it out, and disconnect it.

Now you will need to move your seats forward to access the last two screws. They are on the back of the console close to the floor.

On to the seat belts...first take the liner basket out of the center console. Remove the bolts holding the seat belt guides in place.

Be very careful, there is a thread washer on the back (orange) and a lock washer on top (green) of the bolt.

Lastly, you will need to take off the side plate next to the E-brake.

It's fairly simple but just in case...there is a lock tab on the back side that you will have to pry up on, gently.

The front half just pulls straight up from a guide hook.

Now you are ready to remove the console. To do so, you will need to lift up on the back of the assembly while pulling it backwards. While you are doing this you will also have to feed the seat belts through the guide holes and make sure that you give yourself enough slack. Otherwise you will just be fighting them. Obviously a second set of hands will make this much easier, but this seemed to work fine for me.

And that's that.

If this seemed very dumbed down, that was not my intention, just trying to make it as thorough as possible. Also, if I left anything out please let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by KoR32t4g (09/24/17 10:51 PM)

Posts: 9 | From: Savannah | Member Since: 01/30/16 | IP: (2601:900:8201:16) | Report this post to a Moderator

iceman69510
Turn Right Racing
855/2000
828/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1224451 posted 02/19/16 12:42 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Those small screws are typically very tight if never removed before. Good note.

Great first post BTW!

91 VR4 855 Nile Black
92 VR4 828 Belize Green-Daily driver status
91 VR4 115 Nile Black -SOLD

Posts: 10439 | From: Michigan | Member Since: 03/05/01 | IP: (205.144.100.200) | Report this post to a Moderator

KoR32t4g
48/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1239690 posted 09/24/17 10:59 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I was just informed that the pictures I had previously uploaded were through photo bucket and no longer available, I found all of them and re-uploaded. My apologies for the issues.

Thank you by the way.

Posts: 9 | From: Savannah | Member Since: 01/30/16 | IP: (2601:900:8280:6a) | Report this post to a Moderator

toybreaker Galant VR4.org Moderator
it's peace of mind at 100 mph plus
1990/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 1240727 posted 12/01/17 08:44 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
Excellent post

Thank you for taking the time to re-upload the pictures!

the bitterness of low quality remains long after the temporary joy of a low price has faded

Posts: 3457 | From: Never Summer Ranch, Colorado | Member Since: 04/30/06 | IP: (172.58.56.172) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
1 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *
Thread views: 2811

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page