The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

small battery tray

gaylantvr4

Who on here makes a battery tray for a small battery that bolts where the stock air can goes? I searched but cant find any threads.

pot

Staff member
You have a couple options from several vendors. Off the top of my head JNZ and STM offer a battery tray. My recommendation however would be to contact EMX5636 here on the forum. He can make you a custom tray.

LIV4PSI

I think JMF is who you are referring to. I just installed mine tonight

minneSNOWta

The tray you might be thinking of is known as the "blingin tray" and made by GVR4ZUM. I bought one from him a little while after he stopped making them.

pot

Staff member
Quoting LIV4PSI:
I think JMF is who you are referring to. I just installed mine tonight

Your right. Thats what I was thinking of, but both JNZ and STM carry the JMF battery mounting kit. Nice enough units but if your going to spend money to relocate your battery or buy a kit you may as well move it to the trunk. This is what I did courtesy of EMX5636.

LIV4PSI

I do like the trunk location. I don't agree that if your moving the battery it should go there though. If you race, that setup is completely wrong and won't pass tech. I know EMX has gotten lucky with that in the past.

Anyways, that's why I changed my plans. I didn't want to drill a hole for a kill switch

LIV4PSI

I plan to go once a week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

pot

Staff member
It is completely wrong w/ respect to technical inspection only -its absolutely right if your daily driving like myself and wish to clean the engine bay up while maintaining the stock trunk interior side panels. You wouldn't even know it was there. On the other hand, the passenger rear is the lightest corner of the car so where my battery is situated is the smart choice for me. Sure its missing a battery box and kill switch but I'm not racing so its not necessary. If I were, then that corner of the trunk is exactly where I'd stick it.

Last edited:

EMX5636

Just to clarify, I don't intend anyone who has (or might buy) one of my truck battery mounts try to get through tech illegally. Unfortunately the rules (even though most batteries built today do not need to be vented to the outside of the car) are there for a reason. My solution was for space/look and as pot mentioned, the best place to put it weight wise IMHO. Yes it has gotten through tech on occasion, but I drive my car there, and aside from the turbo which requires a fire jacket, most of the car appears and drives mostly like stock so I don't get looked at much. I plan to have more issues with the roll bar rule than the battery rule, and if it was an event and not a test/tune night, it probably wouldn't pass anyway. The only part of it I don't like is vulnerability to a PS rear collision, but it's no more/less protected than some factory rear mounted batteries.

-end laywer speak. Back to the fun part of moving the horrible location of the stock battery. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

BluFalcon

This is what I did when I went to a DSM style intake pipe. Primary advantage was that there was no lengthening or alteration to the the battery cables, and everything still fit under the hood.

img.php

Odyssey Battery Relocation In GVR-4

Last edited:

belize1334

FWIW: I just had to replace my Odyssey PC925 after 36 months ( several deep discharges, 3 severe winters, 1 bad alternator ). The guy at the battery store was surprised by how short lived it was, until I told him what I use it for. Then he was surprised by how long it lasted. These things take a lot of abuse but at only 330CCA they don't last very long in an automotive application -- if you go this route with a daily driver you should expect to buy an expensive battery every couple of years.

EMX5636

I've had hit-miss experience with those batteries. The one I bought for my Eclipse never fared well, but I had one in my Fiero that, even with sitting most of the 4 years I had that battery in it (most not even on a tender), wouldn't quit. I stopped using them and went to Honda or Miata sized "street" batteries.

KiNgMaRtY

I had one PC925 go bad within 1 year and 2 PC1200 go bad within 1 year a piece for a non daily. Their warranty also sucks! If the voltage is low, they blame you and won't replace it. I learned my lesson and will not be buying another Odyssey battery.

BluFalcon

Quoting EMX5636:
That is a nice clean setup Ed. Looks really good!

Thanks!! I just wanted something that would allow the use of a DSM style intake, and wouldn't require running new leads or grounds. It seems to work pretty well for me.

As for the longevity issue with Odyssey batteries:

I just unplug the battery if the car is going to sit for awhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

This is the third one in my car since I relocated the intake and battery. Yes, they are kind of expensive and I hated replacing every one.

First one I cooked was my fault completely. I was on a date and left the headlights on for a few hours. Push started the car (in the rain) and got her, and my car home. Battery held a charge afterwards, but slowly got worse and it got replaced.

Second one was from when the car got painted. The body shop guys liked to leave my doors open with the battery hooked up while they had the car apart doing body work. Got the car back, and the same story as before. Held a charge, but slowly started to die off as time went on.

Third one is still going strong after 3 years. I understand it doesn't have the capacity, or the robustness of a factory battery so I treat it as such. If the car is going to sit for more than a week, I disconnect it and let it sit. Still starts every time and I haven't had to throw it on the charger yet.

I also avoid leaving it in body shops and going on dates while its raining, so that seems to help too.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts