The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifter base question

I am not 100% sure, but as I recall no. The GVR4 shifter assys. are the same as any other manual transmission Galant of the same years. In the 89-90 MT Galants the bases were the same but the shift parts were different and were more or less interchangeable with the newer parts as I remember.

Last edited:
hmmm so maybe thats my issue. So i bought a set of new OEM Shifter cables for a Galant VR4 90-92 off extremepsi and i installed it into my car and i wasnt able to get into 5th or reverse. The original owner confirmed that he replaced the shifter base with a 1g shifter base a while back. I confirmed the selector arm on the transmission is indeed a 91+ arm, the shifter cable bracket is also a 91+ shifter cable bracket, the shifter base is out of a 1G dsm and the cables i bought are for a Galant Vr4. The cables in the car currently are both adjustable where the new cables are only adjustable on the side to side cable..

So you'd think i need to get a Galant VR4 shifter base and swap that in?

thomcasey

That or get the corresponding bracket for the cable/transmission mount so cable travel is correct.

thomcasey

90-94 1g. YOu will still have to fiddle with the cable adjustments to get it to feel right. It won't be perfect, but it can work.

Yea im going to do it the right way and source out a galant shifter base, getting into 5th gear is sketchy lol...thx for the input guys

FlyingEagle

Staff member
What is the issue you are having that requires a shifter base replacment?

You just eluded to having trouble in the selection of a single gear.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts