The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Identifying an early 1993 7Gen model

Hi

I have an early 1993 7g model which is carbureted. Front wheel drive, 4G63 SOHC, left hand drive and it has a super saloon badge.
It's not really clear where are these from exactly.

Also couldn't find any user or service manual anywhere. if anyone have something close to this one let me know.

I attached a underhood picture of it although i should mention number of things you see is not factory like the carburetor, radiator and etc.

fuel

It looks like a model for the middle east perhaps? I'm guessing that's where you are currently?

It should be similar to the European E55A Galant except having a carburetor instead of multi port fuel injection. I am unsure what other vehicles have the carburetor 7-bolt 4G63 SOHC 16V.

Quote:

It looks like a model for the middle east perhaps? I'm guessing that's where you are currently?

It should be similar to the European E55A Galant except having a carburetor instead of multi port fuel injection. I am unsure what other vehicles have the carburetor 7-bolt 4G63 SOHC 16V.

E55A.That helps thank you.
Yes i am. funny thing is these are very mainstream here pretty much all of them are carbureted and the only EFI versions would be the 6G GTI DOHC.
Carburetors on these are not really reliable tough so people often change them.

Any service manual available?

4Grim

Not many 7th gen VR4 owners...if any and even 8th gen. Majority of the owners here are 6th gen E38a/E39a owners.

Very rare to see a carbed 7th gen...I have seen a few of them in the Philippines. Is yours a SOHC 4G64?

I own a 96 7g which I installed a turbo on the SOHC 4g64 and ran that setup for almost 8 years. Daily drove it and even did some road course events on 12psi before I tore it down to convert to DOHC. Still in the process of doing so among other things.

Here are a couple pics before the teardown.
Night fury by grimgs, on Flickr

thomcasey

That, sir, is beautiful. I like the actual looks of the 8g the most, but that is super nice.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
One of the sweetest 7gs ever.

4Grim

Thanks fellas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just got the engine harness modified for the DOHC swap. Hopefully I will get back to finishing it up in a few months.

Quoting 4Grim:
Not many 7th gen VR4 owners...if any and even 8th gen. Majority of the owners here are 6th gen E38a/E39a owners.

Very rare to see a carbed 7th gen...I have seen a few of them in the Philippines. Is yours a SOHC 4G64?

I own a 96 7g which I installed a turbo on the SOHC 4g64 and ran that setup for almost 8 years. Daily drove it and even did some road course events on 12psi before I tore it down to convert to DOHC. Still in the process of doing so among other things.

Here are a couple pics before the teardown.

Oh my...
I've been sharing this picture around as a great example of a proper 7g for a long time.
I can't believe i've finally found the owner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif
What are the rims it's rocking? they suit the car very well!

Mine would be the 4g63 version and i am planning for an EvoIII conversion.

Last edited:

tektic

Quoting 4Grim:
Thanks fellas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just got the engine harness modified for the DOHC swap. Hopefully I will get back to finishing it up in a few months.

I'm planning to do this on a mighty max. Do you have any notes or pictures you care to share?

Sorry for the thread jack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4Grim

Thank you...the build is taking long but looking to make more progress later this year. I already had the harness modified, just need to clean it up a bit more.

Wheels are Rota sub Zeros 18x9 +31 offset but I no longer have them...I am going back to 17's with a meatier tire setup.

Once I make more progress with the car I will update the build thread which I have on Galant Tuners. Right now just keeping the bottom end stock and slapping on a "stockish" head and sort out any issues and see how much power a "stock" motor will handle. Not building a drag car...more a road course car so most of my attention is the suspension and drivetrain. Power goals are modest..maybe 400ish which is reasonable and still able to keep it "reliable" and easy turn key and drive with a/c. I just want to have a fun to drive car...I am also leaning on converting it to AWD, I have majority of the parts for the swap.

Toothless by grimgs, on Flickr

Last edited:
18's to 17's hmmm... Ride quality was the issue?
An AWD conversion will be very interesting, where can i follow you for the project?

4Grim

Ride quality wasn't the issue...I just want to run a tire with more meat, I am building this car for road course racing. Plus I think 17's are a perfect size wheel for the 7g Galant.

You can follow my build here: Night Fury build

A bunch of the pics aren't working because of Photobuckets new user agreement on 3rd party hosting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. I have to transfer the pics to Flickr someday when I have time.

thomcasey

Just transfer them here so they are forever!!!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts