The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

New temp gauge

gvr4ever

I tried google, but found too many 2G DSM links.

I got a bit of a scare this morning. Drove the GVR4 to work and I looked down and the temp gauge was 100% hot. I wigged out and pulled over and turned the engine off. Popped the hood to make sure the brand new water pump belt on the brand new water pump was still in place. After the momentary wig out, I realised, I had just left the house and the it would be impossible for the engine to get that hot, or even be up to normal temp yet. The rad cap wasn't even hot yet. So I put some pressure on the temp sensor plug and went to start the engine back up and the temp gauge went back to halfway.

I'm not sure what caused the hiccup. I did put a new temp sensor not too long ago. Perhaps it's not a good one.

My question is, how many people put a mechanical temp gauge in? Is the thermostat housing thick enough to tap another sensor? The 2G apparently isn't. What have you guys done?

I ended up driving the car to work without issue. I'm not too worried about actually overheating, but I would like to have a real, real-time reading of my cars coolant temps.

thomcasey

I put one in. I use a sensor in the upper radiator hose:

I use this gauge: Temp Gauge

With this in the upper hose: Sender attachment (can't remember the size, just measure the radiator outlet size)

Here it is installed (circled in yellow)

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Could just be a bad connector pin (loose or corrosion) or a wire breaking. I would check that first.

Glad to hear you are driving the car William.

Last edited:

gvr4ever

Perfect. Thank you.

Now I just have to figure out where to install another gauge....

gvr4ever

Quoting iceman69510:
Could just be a bad connector pin (loose or corrosion) or a wire breaking. I would check that first.

Glad to hear you are driving the car William.

The wire looked fine. I might put the original sensor back in if I can find it. I got one from RockAuto and I wonder if it is just working correctly.

I've never heard of the gauge going out being a common problem, but I guess that is possible too.

I'll have to attempt to fire up the old palm and see what temps are being reported and see if they match the gauge too. I honestly haven't used it in ages. Do the serial to USB adapters work?

turbowop

If you have ECMlink you could always have the ECU throw the CE light if it gets too hot. The ECU temp sensor is better and more accurate anyway.

gvr4ever

I don't. My car is tuned by a keydiver chip. I got one years ago and I was able to get a new chip to go with larger injectors. So, basic tune, but it seems to work rather well.

I don't remember CEL temp warning being being an available feature on a keydiver chip, but now that I think about it, I think he may have forgotten to put a CEL shift light on my new chip. Or maybe I just haven't revved it out enough. Need to test...

I went out to my car at lunch to make sure no coolant was on the ground. Not a spot on the ground, but looking under the hood, I saw a few drops of coolant near the t-state housing and top hose clamp. I'll have to keep an eye out on it. Pretty sure I put new hoses on when I replaced the radiator, but maybe I need to tightening a clamp or temp sensor a little more.

thomcasey

I use my separate gauge to see what temp the coolant is as it enters the engine. Tells me the fan is working and airflow/coolant levels are ok. Generally I see 180° in stop-n-go traffic in 85° heat (with the fan on) and normally 160°-170° when cruising on the highway with the fan off. This is all with the factory 195° thermostat.

I have the CEL set to warn me before everything blows.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts