The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternative gearing

EMX5636

Definitely taller gearing for 1 and 2. My only concern would be the strength of the metal they are using. Never heard of that company.

Tell you what though, if they are stronger than stock, they should get on producing a 3/4 setup, even if stock gearing. Just to fix the main weak link in the 1G DSM/GVR4 trans after you ditch the Galant 1st gear.

tektic

I don't know if this is them but there's a German company making straight cut gears for the 1g trans

4Grim

Alot of the high HP GT-R guys and even a few Evo guys have used Pfitzner gears (PPG gearboxes). They are from Australia and there stuff has been in some fast cars. They do make gear sets for Evo 1-3,Eclipse/Talon,and GVR4. Their stuff is pricey but they are worth the $$$.

PPG gears

vr4play

We use them (PPG) in our evo but my opinion is they're junk. We keep breaking them and they're not cheap. One of our evo's broke 3rd gear at the shootout. I just put that gear in there last year. It probably had 20 passes on it. PAR engineering makes stuff as well and I'm thinking of using that in my car. The stock gears are getting hard to come by.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
vr4play

Any idea at what RPM the car makes peak torque/HP and when the turbo is at full boost on that EVO? All drag circumstances only?

Curious as to what kind of power is taking down those gears, assuming everything else is up to par (pre-load, driving style, driveline freeplay, NLTS, tires, etc).

EMX5636

I think everyone is on PPG in the US. I was considering the synchro straight cut gearset from PAR, but after driving my faceplated trans for the last 3 years or so, I have zero issues with another dogbox.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts