The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rear wheels locked while driving.

juanchi

Hello, so to start off I just spent some time using the search bar and googling but I am hoping to get a more specific help to me.

Anyway, so last night I was driving and I heard some noise I've never heard before, I got out checked underneath the car but I couldn't see anything specific.
The car was making like a loud rattling noise, mostly when decelerating in gear coming towards a stop. I drove it a couple more miles and it drove normally. Then I went to go on to the New Jersey parkway and both rear wheels locked and I skidded to the side of the entrance. Got my car towed home and now I'm going to take a look at the car. Both front wheels spin but the rears don't. I couldn't tell if the noise was coming from directly underneath or from the rear.

1991 galant vr4 aws. I read for some people who have a talon, that their transfer case has a recall but I haven't found if Mitsubishi had one for the galant also. But anyway I am going to put the car on jack stands and I'm looking for more of a guide on what to start checking for first. Thanks for the help in advance

tektic

There is a recall on all the early transfer cases. You can call the dealership and ask them to run the vin number.

juanchi

Thank you, I will call tomorrow and find out. So initially when I got a tow, the trans was in neutral and hand brake down but the rear wheels were locked, now I got the car up on 4 stands. And all wheels free spin on neutral with hand brake down. But when I go to accelerate in first .. The front wheels spin but the rear wheels don't. There's red fluid around the engine and trans but I know I have a power steering leak so I'm guessing it may be that?

prove_it

Or trans...

juanchi

Alright so I called Mitsubishi, and they say the recall was done by one of the owners in 1999. So I guess I have to try to figure it out.

89Mirageman

A buddy of mine that used to work for Chrysler told me that this was a lifetime warranty since it was a recall for safety. He got me a few brand new transfer cases over the years for my talon and awd summit wagon.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
That does not technically apply if it is has been performed already. Mitsubishi has pretty consistently refused to do it again if it has been done once.

89Mirageman

I just sent him a message on FB and he said it was a Chrysler only thing. He's not even sure if they still do that now since they were bought out. Probably not.

diambo4life

Mitsubishi refused to do mine when I bought my old Talon circa 2003 since the VIN did not pull up a Mitsubishi. Cocksuckers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I went to the Jeep/Eagle dealership and they got it done for me. I took mine in before any failure tho. I hated my local Mitsu dealership. Stan for sure.

Last edited:

juanchi

Yes they told me it wouldn't be covered since it was already done and not considered a safety hazard anymore. And both of my wheels locked up entering a highway, good thing it happened there and not when I was going 70mph. I guess I have to try and find a transfer case. Been googling but haven't found anything solid. Thanks everyone by the way for the help

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned