The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head stud tightening sequence

alik

Is this correct?
Studs are ARP.

So, the image is upside down if I'm standing at the front of the car, right?

AllanL

yes. facing the engine, if timing belt side is on your right, bolt #1 should be radiator side.

fuel

As long as you start with the bolts in the middle, it doesn't matter if you do the one facing the radiator or the one facing the firewall.

prove_it

Also, make the torque in 2 steps, 50 then 80-90 pending on where you what your arps torqued too. Don't go all the way in one pass.

Not everyone does this either, but I like to run the car a couple of heat cycles then recheck the studs torque. You'd be surprised how often one will be less.

diambo4life

I do mine in almost 4 steps but again I have L19s and torque my sh*t high. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Sequence is VERY important. Don't matter what super duper head gasket you have and/or studs if you do not TQ down correctly. Make sure your studs can bottom out in the holes without using any tools. If they are not, I suggest chasing those threads with a tap and cleaning them out with brakeclean and air if the head is not on the block or you will be doing it again.

alik

Prior to tightening the head, I spoke with ARP, and,I did the following :
Chased the holes using a 12x1.25 tap, using "Ultra Torque" lubricant, I hand tightened the studs,using 3 steps I tightened the studs in the correct sequence to 30,60,and then 90 ft lbs.
"Ultra Torque " went on stud threads, washers, and nuts.
I used Mitsu gasket.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned