The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Good Clutch for high HP 600+

jeverts

For the bigger HP guys. What are you using for a clutch? I am planning on being over 600hp to the wheels.

89Patches

Triple disk or one of dem south bend clutch's. I have one in my car and really like it. I have no clue what "stage", They have way too many. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

transparentdsm

i second the south bend. call them and have a conversation about your goals and what the car is goingto be used for and they can point you the right way. i called a few months back about one for when i put in my TRE stage 2 trans and they were super helpful. i called them based off what Mark(turbowop) has said about them and when i asked him he said talking to them to best suit your full needs and he couldn't have been more right.

EMX5636

I run an Exedy Twin. If I were going to do it again, I would just by the Magnus triple. It's tits.

Street Surgeon

Tilton carbon/carbon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

best is an auto swap.

MellowVR4

Idk man, the dsm auto trans are pretty strong and shift great IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

prove_it

Last edited:

thomcasey

I would love to go auto with a slap shift in my galant. Even for a daily.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting 89Patches:

Tell that to your brother, Canada.
Quoting 89Patches:
Did some roll on's with my brother. His evo vs my galant. I cracked the ringlands on 1&2, 30psi compression. He also stripped 4th during the same pull. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

jeverts

I talked to Tim @ tmzperformace he got me all squared away and a good set up for the car. Comp flywheel with a southbend full ceramic disc he told me would be the best setup for what I want to do with the car and the hp that I am going to be pushing.

I have had 2 trans rebuilt by him and now I am probably going to be getting a clutch through him. If anyone is looking for that stuff I would highly suggest you go through him does amazing work on transmission for a good price and is very knowledgeable.

prove_it

No, but your eluding to the idea that an auto sucks up all the power and you go slow. Which is not entirely true.

Autos are just as fast as a manual. Less fun for road racing and auto-x, but a great alternative to anyone looking to go straight, go fast, and do it reliably. An auto set-up can coat the same as a 2-3 disc clutch in some cases, far less than a 1k clutch set-up and 3k manual trans to take the beating.

GSTwithPSI

I was just giving Canada a hard time. I know he's aware of the perks of an auto trans. He was just being a smart ass, which I'm always fine with.

Most guys these days turning low numbers in the 1/4 are on auto boxes. They are cheap, reliable, and can take a ton of abuse with little modification. I don't think you can really dispute they aren't optimal for a drag car running sub 10 second passes.

SB seems to be a popular choice with high HP builds. I think their good customer support helps sway people toward using their setups as well. I've always heard mixed opinions on twin disc setups of various flavors. I think that perception usually varies depending on what the user expects from a twin disc, and then what the user actually gets.

89Patches

You know, I actually really don't care what trans is used. I thought the pic was funny so I posted it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

jeverts

Tim said this will work just fine. I would like to comfortably drive the car and race it here and there but 90% of the time I just want to enjoy the car and drive it. I had a PTT twin disc in it before and it was a whore to drive around.

diambo4life

I made 700whp+ on an ACT 2600 with a Clutch Net 4 puck disc. Granted it was slipping at that point with 500+ wheel torx. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I now have a 3200PP with the same disc and with the power turned up, it holds solid. YMMV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

GSTwithPSI

I always liked ACT. Nothing fancy, just a heavy ass pressure plate with your choice of disk. I've been through my fair share of ACT clutch setups, and have never been disappointed. Sure, there's nicer stuff out there, but for the price ACT is hard to beat.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts