The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Crankwalk?

Coltsfan

I just drove my Galant 1000 miles last weekend, and was super stoked that I didn't burn a drop of oil (new pistons). Then yesterday I started noticing an RPM drop whenever I push the clutch. By the end of the day the RPM drop was joined by an illuminated oil light. On my way home, the engine began to stall whenever I push the clutch to come to a stop. Starting to hate this damn car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Thoughts or insight?

prove_it

Does it have oil?

Coltsfan

Still full of oil. I just put a pry bar against the harmonic balancer, and I want to barf, or take up hard drugs.

Coltsfan

I hear Heroin is real popular these days...

Coltsfan

So last Sunday I crashed my downhill bike really hard. I think I separated one of my ribs from my sternum, and now I have 1/8" of friggin' crankwalk. When I sneeze it feels like I'm taking a baseball bat to the chest.

Ps. I was joking about the heroin. I wouldn't even know where to get it.

prove_it

You can get better drugs from a Doc if your in pain like that.

Sounds like your thrust washer took a sh*t. Do you have the clutch switch disabled, I.E., able to start the car in neutral without pushing the clutch pedal in?
I bet the bearing was dry at some point while cranking with a heavy clutch.

Was the crank machined at all?

jeverts

Quoting Coltsfan:
I hear Heroin is real popular these days...

I hear Duluth is your place to be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Coltsfan

I have been taking 800mg of Ibuprofen every eight hours since the crash up until last night because my stomach wasn't feeling right. I didn't disable the clutch switch, but that's about the first thing on my list now. I thought about it, but figured "eh what are the chances I'll get crankwalk on a six bolt". The bearings are standard size Clevite/Perfect Circle, and the crank has never been machined.

I want to toss another set of bearings in there (assuming the crank isn't scorched) but I worry the same thing may happen in another two thousand miles. The crank I used for the rebuild actually came from a N/A block I had laying around. It just seemed a little smoother than the one that came out of the engine.

Coltsfan

I just noticed the mains are still in that N/A block I took parts from. Maybe I can just pull the pan and slip them in without pulling the crank, and cross my fingers.

prove_it

Don't swap main caps. You can't do that. Also did you measure the crank before using it?

You can try new bearings, but Clevete is ok, but ACL race bearings are far better.

Yes, you can swap in bearings without pulling the crank, you gotta be careful and through, also what did you use for torque on the cap bolts?

prove_it

Oh, and in honesty, I'd pull the oil pump off and clean it out and check the oil passages and make damn sure something didn't block up a hole somewhere.

Post up pics of bearings for us to look at.

Coltsfan

I wont swap main caps, I know I can't do that. I was referring to the used bearings. It's going to be days before I see a new set of main bearings for this thing. Stores don't even stock wheel bearings for this car.

I'm working my way around the oil pan with a putty knife now. Pics to arrive shortly.

Coltsfan

The arrow is facing the right direction at least.

Coltsfan

I can feel grooves in the thrust surface of the crank on one side. I can barely believe this carp.

Launch

That crank looks mighty old there buddy, you ensure it was safe to still use before the new bearings?

Coltsfan

The bearings in the engine it came from look fantastic.

prove_it

That looks like a dry bearing to me, or contamination of the bearing surfaces.

The oiling channels in the crank should be cleaned out very well, in fact BogusSVO did a write up on it and how he removes the balls in the counter weights to clean the crank out.

Coltsfan

Seemed right when I snapped this photo.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts