The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bendix score

G

Staff member
So the gvr4 clutch slave cyl (md733227) has been disco for a while & is nla in jp. Peeps have been settling for the dsm equivalent, which has the smaller bore? Anyway I bought a bendix out of curiosity to see if it would be a Japanese part. Sometimes you get lucky and sure enough it is. Also note that the piston inside is green. I think the dsm unit is red? I also bought a cardone unit and it was made in taiwan. >>> click

Last edited:

turbowop

If using a heavier clutch, the DSM unit is preferred as it has more throw thanks to the smaller diameter piston. Is it possible to get a Bendix DSM one that is made in Japan?

Last edited:

G

Staff member
I see. Well i'm replacing the rod with the longer oem rod. Probably, you'd have to try ordering one and see what arrives.

EMX5636

Changing the rod doesn't affect the throw and is usually a bandaid for a worn pedal or fork/ball assembly. And IIRC, I think not all DSM's have the red piston, only FWD Turbo? I think the regular AWD is the same as the GVR4 one.

prove_it

91 Galant VR4 had the larger bore, 92 galants had the smaller bore slave. Mitsu changed these up model to model and year to year and no real way of knowing without pulling the piston. You WANT, ney almost HAVE to run the red smaller bore with any aftermarket upgraded clutch.

The longer rod will not correct anything, and WILL bend clutch fingers. This I know, for I did it. Lasted a month before having bigger issues.

G

Staff member
I installed the longer rod in my dsm when I installed new master & slave cyl's & it works like a champ. No problems yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif I'm pretty sure the 1g awd dsm & gvr4 are not the same hence the different part numbers.

EMX5636

Haven't checked OEM part numbers, but I know they're interchangeable. As prove_it said, I know I've seen green and red pistons on all sorts of cars, but I can't verify if they have been replaced or like that from the factory.

As for the longer rod, you can overthrow the pressure plate. Usually if you run a plastic style TOB, that takes the hit first and bends the backing plate. If you run an OEM style one, it can push the fingers either into the disk hub, or bend them. If you are getting by with it, then you have a throw issue as mentioned, (pedal, step height or fork/ball etc). Just keep an eye on it, it doesn't allow it to return all the way either, usually bottoming the slave.

ApexHunter

Here's a little more info. When i originally posted this those weird symbols weren't there. Tried to clear it up but i can't find the original info source. Anyway, it's something.

Quote:

There are two different slaves dependent on build date.

MD733227- 1990.06.1 – 1992.04.3
Green markings, 20.64mm OD piston

MD733623- 1992.05.1 – 1992.05.3
Pink markings, 19mm OD piston

Also, some more discussion here: click

At one point, i went from a Green to a Red, not knowing that there were two different slaves. Promptly snapped my clutch fork. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I had already adjusted the master all the way out, only later to find out that i had a worn out pedal assembly in addition to problems with the hydraulic system. Good times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Last edited:

G

Staff member
Thanks for that. The vr4 slave has not been superseded by the dsm unit though. The vr4 unit is just discontinued.

MellowVR4

Whats the difference between the dsm vs gvr4 slave?

turbowop

The DSM version is a little smaller in diameter, so for the same amount of pedal throw, it moves the rod farther. It works way better with a stiffer clutch.

MellowVR4

Oh ok gotcha.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts