The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Muffler suggestion - looking for a bit quieter

EfiniX

Hello, all. I've purchased a new house and I'm finding myself acutely aware of how loud my car is warming up at 6am in the morning. Now I accept that it will always be loud to a certain extent. FP racing manifold... 3" Fujitsubo turbo-back exhaust... Right now I've got a 10 year old magnaflow mellon launcher and maybe that's just the way things have to be. But if I can do better (read:quieter without losing performance), then I'd love to go that route.

Anyone have any suggestions?

MellowVR4

Possibly putting some resonators would quiet it down a bit?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4dr_psi_awd

I'm running 3" from the turbo to a cut-out with a resonator in between. After the cut-out it goes to 2.5" with a Dyno-Max 2.5" Super Turbo muffler. It's barely louder than stock with cut-out closed, and doesn't drone. With the cut-out open it's not too bad due to the resonator.

Sounds like you need a bigger rear section (oval style) muffler and a resonator or two.

EfiniX

Well I'm fairly certain there is no resonator in my current setup, but I'd have to poke under it again. Assuming this is the case, a resonator might be the answer. if that's the case, are there considerations (performance) and/or brands/types that I should be thinking about?

MellowVR4

I've used some of these once, quiet it down quite a bit. click

strokin4dr

I am using an 18" Vibrant resonator with a 3" in/dual 3" out Vibrant muffler. Much nicer sounding that my old setup with only a 3" magnaflow muffler.
Wife still thinks it's too loud for wot on the street /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

matt92vr4

I have a 3" vibrant and it sounds great. Pretty quiet IMO. 3" all the way with no cat.

Turboman_456

Quoting 4dr_psi_awd:
I'm running 3" from the turbo to a cut-out with a resonator in between. After the cut-out it goes to 2.5" with a Dyno-Max 2.5" Super Turbo muffler. It's barely louder than stock with cut-out closed, and doesn't drone. With the cut-out open it's not too bad due to the resonator.

Sounds like you need a bigger rear section (oval style) muffler and a resonator or two.

I concur Dyno Max I run one as well it sounds good and it gives you better flow than stock.

KiNgMaRtY

^^ That is Road Race Engineering recipe for their 3" Stealthback exhausts. I had one with 2 resonators and a magnaflow muffler on a 2g GSX that I had and it sounded just about as loud as stock even with the 272 cams. On the Galant I opted only for 1 resonator to have some sound. It's still very quiet but does have some sound to it.

prove_it

Which magnaflow muffler?

JamesFoster

I second the Vibrant ones. And if you want it even quieter add an in line resonator.
click

matt92vr4

My exhaust sounds so good with the Vibrant I have a hard time keeping my foot out of the gas just so I can hear it lol. I should mount the GoPro back there and post the vid.

cheekychimp

^^^ Yeah I can understand that. I make my wife crazy driving around at this time of year with the windows open so that I can hear the exhaust!!!

citymunky

^^ Ha, that post just reminded of this. click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned