The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

20g turbo install. What a headache so far

4G63_GSR

First off this is an install on my 2g with a 1g swap. This whole process has not been as smooth as one would think. This is on a

I finally got my 20g back along with waiting for misc items to mount the turbo. I now have everything and proceeded to put it on last night. I had to dent my water pipe in order to have my manifold sit flush. Once that was down the damn turbo inlet is practically pointing straight at the water pipe port that goes to the lower radiator hose. My first initial thought was just the coolant hose was in the way. That's not the case. There's not enough clearance for a 2.5 to 3 inch coupler.

The turbo is mounted with a 2g exhaust manifold. The water pipe is a 1g NT. I'm brainstorming ideas of what I can do to clear the water pipe. Will a FP manifold position the turbo far enough to clear? A manifold spacer and longer studs? If I go this route I'll need to a) trim the WG bracket that is mounted on the compressor housing or b) swap out my stock fan with an aftermarket.

MellowVR4

What about an (S) coupler? might work. or I can weld and extra section on that pipe and use a straight coupler?

89Mirageman

I'm using a 94 Hyundai Elantra water pipe on my colt with the dohc 4g64 swap. It doesn't curve towards the front of the car, just stays straight. Maybe it would clear?

Mdlimy

It looks like its barely touching, if so, remove some material from the compressor housing. There is a lot of material there, Ive personally done it to an hrc 20g without any issues, but i cant clearly see how much you would need to remove from the pictures posted.

fuel

^^ I think the main issue is the water pipe outlet fouls on the space needed to put the inlet on the turbo. As above the best option is probably find the Hyundai water pipe with a straight outlet, or perhaps cut off the last few inches of the water outlet and weld on a straight pipe or a differently curved end instead.

Mdlimy

I should have looked closer at the pictures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Launch

Can you not mend it away from the compressor? Hammer and ball bearing,etc? The Fp ex manifold will position it right where Oem is. What turbine housing are you running? I'm using the larger compressor cover on mine with a 90 turbo water pipe, slightly 'mended.

Street Surgeon

Actually, the FP manifold angles the compressor housing out juuuuuuuust a bit more than the stock manifolds giving you a dash of clearance.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts