The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Feal CoilOver 441MI-05 7K 7K

ApexHunter

Thank you Brett, i really appreciate that man.

I still get a lot from this forum. I originally came here because there is lot of great info for 6G Galants. While the forum has morphed and such over the years, fundamentally what attracted me here remains. I am consistently inspired on here, and that has held true since i signed up. Without getting too sappy or too wordy, i'll just say that there are a lot of really dedicated, talented and and resourceful people on here who help me remember what is possible (almost anything, even on a budget) and how to have fun with a project regardless of what it is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif Sometimes my job leaves me jaded and burnt on my own hobby so i plug in here and get stoked.

I've been working with Heeltoe for over 6 years now, and have been wanting to support the community every since i signed on there. It didn't really make a lot of sense to dive into though, as there are already a few good vendors that work with the vr4 and we have been plenty busy with the platforms that we specialize in. A couple months ago Feal caught my attention because i was looking for shock rebuild support, and after looking into them was impressed by their background and approach they are taking to the "affordable" coilover segment. Come to find out recently they do a VR4 kit, which slots in somewhere between the Taiwanese cookie cutter stuff and the Hot Bits. They just lack distribution, so here we are. BTW, they are a Hot Bits distributor, although Larry Parker is still doing a great job with Hot Bits support from what i can tell. Anyhow, while i don't benefit from this deal directly, i do believe in the product, and our business at Heeltoe is more about service than it is about a specific part or a specific car so we're excited to finally offer something valuable here.

I'm hoping to keep the Feal promo alive for at least a month or two, and longer if possible. Also will be doing a site-wide discount code for .org members, and adding other products in the future.

EMX5636

Order sent. I'm game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll let everyone know in a few weeks how they look/fit feel etc. I'm replacing a set of KSports, and with the upgraded valving and better springs, I'm hoping they feel even better on our shitty pothole filled roads.

Last edited:

ApexHunter

Sweet. Can't wait to go up and pick them up and scope the operation. Should be a fun little field trip. Or should i say, Feald trip. Ha.

ApexHunter

Update: First few orders have been placed and the builds are underway now. Hope to have some real feedback on the GVR4 specific kits within the coming weeks. I also ended up changing my own personal suspension plan for my Evo. I sold my OEM MR Bilstein damper assemblies, which i had originally planned on revalving for use with some Swift Spec-Rs, and bought an off the shelf spec Feal 441 kit. I'm excited to check it out and am feeling confident that this was a good move.

I got a little bit more feedback at the track this past weekend. I spotted a guy with a Feal sticker on his RLTA Subaru so i chatted with him for a minute. One thing that was interesting was he had previously owned a set of KW V3s. He said he had spent quite a bit of cash customizing them to fit his needs. At the end of they day he dumped them because he kept running into issues. We didn't get into specifics but he said he just wished he had gone with the Feals in the first place.

Spoke to another guy there who has an Evo that was pretty extensively modified for track use. I was trying to get some setup tips from him, as he has been at it for a while, and i've only just started taking my Evo to the track. He's the original owner, bought it new in 2003, and has used it almost exclusively at the track since. Anyway, I told him i had just picked up a set of Feals. He said he's used them for several rebuilds for himself and friends/customers of his (he's on Ohlins DFVs at the moment), and he was always really happy with their service. He attributed a lot of their skill and knowledge to their past experience with off-road racing applications. That is a bit out of my realm, but his opinion was that if you are building shocks for that stuff, the learning curve there is very steep and unforgiving, especially with valving, and that made sense to me. He also said that he thought that the 8k/8k springs that came standard with my kit were softer than what he would recommend for the track, but he suspected that it would be supremely comfy on the street. This sounds good to me, as my car is ultimately a street car, and my girlfriend already isn't wild about the ride quality of the Evo in stock form, so if i can improve there that'd be a bonus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EMX5636

Glad to hear you're picking up a set for your Evo. I'm definitely eager to get them on and test them out.

EMX5636

Woo! Set is ready for shipment! Can't wait to unbox, and get them on the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ApexHunter

Yes! Dude i was hyped when i got the good news today that they were done building them.

Looking forward to picking up another gvr4 kit next week, as well as a kit of my own, and hopefully checking out their operation a bit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ApexHunter

Ran into a delay here, but also learned some stuff. With the Galant VR-4 being the oddball that it is, camber adjustable upper mounts are a bit tougher to get that i would have thought, and Feal's supplier only had a standard, non-adjustable upper mount. Our first kit was built with these mounts. EMX5636 alerted me, and after a little bit of discussion with Feal, they have sourced the camber adjustable upper mounts for us and the first few should be ready here in the next couple of weeks. First set will be shipped off to EMX so he can get his kit up to snuff. Next set will be used to complete the other GVR4 coilover kit that i'm waiting on. Thanks a bunch to Justin (EMX5636) for his help and patience, and to the other gvr4 mystery tester /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif, and of course to Feal for being good guys who want the end user to be happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also noteworthy:

Each of the upper holes on the front lower bracket's mounting ear is slotted, so we'll be able to adjust the angle of the knuckle here, as well as adjusting camber via the upper mount.

Front lower brackets look beefy and well reinforced; ready to take a beating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

The front lower brackets have provisions for brake line mounting. Rears use included clamp on mounts.

A few teasers, credit to Justin:
18278006454_00ab2fe527_b.jpg

18714274669_d072cf3943_b.jpg

18279797403_101a0da831_b.jpg

Last edited:

91_427

I'm really interested in eventually getting a set of these for mine, but I'm waiting for the guinea pigs (you guys) final opinion on the quality, ride, etc. of them.

Anyways, I do have a few question sregarding this most recent update:
If I order these from Feal will I have to specify that I need to have the camber adjustable upper mounts?
What brand did Feal use for the camber adjustable upper mount?
Also, if I source the camber adjustable upper mounits myself would Feal be open to the idea of using the ones I select?

EMX5636

The upper mounts will probably be similar spec to D2, BC Ksport etc. I have had the Ksport ones my car for about 7 years/30k miles, and they have only recently in the last few months started to get a bit of play in the spherical bearing. I have no doubts the FEAL versions will be at least that good. Only other ones I would personally consider using, are camber/caster adjustable ones.

ApexHunter

Quoting 91_427:
I'm really interested in eventually getting a set of these for mine, but I'm waiting for the guinea pigs (you guys) final opinion on the quality, ride, etc. of them.

Anyways, I do have a few question sregarding this most recent update:
If I order these from Feal will I have to specify that I need to have the camber adjustable upper mounts?
What brand did Feal use for the camber adjustable upper mount?
Also, if I source the camber adjustable upper mounits myself would Feal be open to the idea of using the ones I select?

Sounds good. We'll be providing more updates here as time goes on.

As of yesterday, i can say that camber adjustable upper mounts are supposed to come standard, and do come standard, on this kit. There was a mix up on EMX5636's kit and once i spoke with Feal about it, they got right to rectifying the issue. Anytime a 441MI-05 kit is ordered, it should have camber adjustable upper mounts.

With regard to the brand of the upper mounts, pretty sure EMX hit it on the head. Probably same overseas manufacturer supplying to BC, K Sport, others. Just as BC calls them their own, i'm sure Feal would refer to them as "theirs". I suspect the info on the manufacturer would be kept proprietary.

The 441 kit would ship with their own upper mounts. If you were doing a custom road race or gravel kit, or maybe even something in between an off the shelf 441 and a race kit, i certainly wouldn't rule it out, but i would be surprised if they wanted to build a more standard 441 with a mount that wasn't their own. As i learned through our discussion about doing an inverted kit, it's very important to them to be able to stand behind their product, and introducing someone else's parts into the mix might not be their first choice from an after-sales support perspective.

KiNgMaRtY

I also ordered a pair of Feal Front Camber plates for my GVR-4 to go with my Robispec KW V3's and I ordered a full coilover kit for my Miata /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

91_427

ApexHunter and EMX5636

Thank you both for answering my questions. It cleared up my confusions about these coilovers. I'm sure that whatever upper mounts come with the kit now will be more than sufficient for my needs.

Last edited:

prove_it

I think you'll sell the crap out of those rear brake line holders. Those are very nice.

ApexHunter

Historically, Feal has not offered the clamp-on brake line brackets separately, but they said they'll do it for us. Working on details now.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned