The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Carbon fiber/fiberglass hood

eviLntt

Long story short, my mechanic didn't lock in my hood pins before he sent me home and my vented hood popped up and destroyed itself along with my windshield. He acknowledged it was his fault and paid for replacement parts and installation. The vented hood is no longer available, probably because it didn't really fit the car very well. After hunting around the web, the only company I could find that offered a hood for the Galant was Advan Carbon. The car is dirty and needs a paint job but the hood looks fantastic.

G

Staff member
Looks great, how much $ ?

dsmless

That looks good man, I beleive it looks better than my vader style carbon fiber hood.

G

Staff member
How long did it take to come in?

G

Staff member
That's not bad, I wonder if it's in stock or is made to order.

EMX5636

The hood does look nice. Made in the US is nice too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Does it have a slight curl down on the drivers side front lip? If so that came from the mold of the first CF group buy here.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I was looking for that too. Don't really see it prominently in picture 4.

MellowVR4

Nice looking hood, got me thinking now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif they got trunks too?

Gabor

I need some extra money to pay for stuff. Anybody interested in a group buy? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Ooh, OOH, pick me!!

eviLntt

Quoting 467:
Does it have a slight curl down on the drivers side front lip? If so that came from the mold of the first CF group buy here.

I can take some more pictures when I get home after work. The car was in a very minor collision on that drivers side and since then has looked a little off to me.

Yup, that looks like it. That mold was done a long time ago. But I think I has the best quality under skeleton, and fender line fit of any that I've seen.

P.S. If that's the same one as I recall, there originally was a weakness in the latch catch.They may have fixed it, but if not, be sure there is a good solid piece of metal glassed into where the latch hook holds down the hood. The original ones just had a carbon fiber lip the metal hook latched to and as I recall there were some failures after some wear causing bent roofs.

PSS. Ahh you have hood pins.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Hood looks great.

JNR

Wow, it's nice to see a good carbon fiber hood on the market...and local, as well. Will need to check them out!

Don't like raw carbon fiber look on white, so I'd paint mine...[EDIT - it appears they have different color schemes available, but nothing for white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ] does it look relatively flat overall? Don't want to have to put a lot of bodywork into it, if at all possible. This, along with some new hinges and hood struts would be awesome...

I had a similar thing happen to me on my Chevelle many years ago...somebody thought it would be funny to steal my hood pins and I didn't think to notice them gone. So, boom, ruined hood and almost hit a bicyclist. Two lessons that day: Always carry duct tape (ironic part is I was telling this to my passenger friend) and always check your pins. More importantly, have a backup and don't rely solely on the pins to hold it down. I was quite young then and long before the internet, but will always remember that!

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts