The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2.4 vr4

GVR4_1636

Okay I have a 7 bolt head sitting on a 6bolt 2.4t What head gasket should I go with. Also I need an intake manifold, what throttle body combo would you run? And if I told you I want to use an Evo8 ecu I would need a nice solid application maybe evo8 application with a bracket or fab intake??? Just have too many ideas guys I need some inputs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif I want to get this thing on the road asap this is just the start for me.

cheekychimp

Stock 4G64 crank, rods and pistons? What compression ratio do you want overall? I know you are looking for advice on what to do but without knowing what end result you are looking for and more about your setup, it's difficult to do that. If you intend running a stock GVR4 or 2G ECU then you will want to try to match the stock 7.8:1 or 8.5:1 CR that those ECUs are tuned for. I can't remember what the 2.4 CR was stock but I am pretty sure it was much higher, I doubt that you can compensate for that with a head gasket.

Maybe that's why you are going for the EVO 8 ECU to give you some tuning options? I personally wouldn't go too aggressive with the CR so I'd be looking to drop it down to about 9.0:1 for the street myself but that probably means new pistons (maybe new rods) if yours are currently stock. If you are going with stock pistons and rods, I'd be very careful if you do have a higher CR. Even the thickest head gasket isn't going to drop it down much and a high CR plus boost requires very good tuning. I'm not saying it can't be done but it must be approached very cautiously.

Get back with more on your setup. Stock or aftermarket pistons and rods, current CR and plans, type of turbo, intercooler etc.

tektic

Getting it on the road asap doesn't seem congruent with the rest of your ideas.

Head Gaskets are the same between 6 and 7 bolt, the bolts or studs however are not. Ideally the head should be drilled out to accommodate the larger bolt size of the block. If its a 6 bolt 2.4 some cooling passages need to be added.

As for intake most readily available would be a 2g, A little better would be evo 3 and then there's various smims. Sticking with the 2g you won't have to fabricate as many brackets.

Unless you already have an evo 8 ecu and programmer its not a good choice for a few reasons. Is it possible to swap? Yes. It will involve custom sensor placement wiring and time involved. YES Yes Yes. If you haven't done anything like that before it will be especially challenging. Then there is the cost... IMHO Better off with an eprom chip if time is a constraint.

Last edited:

89Mirageman

It's actually the 7 bolt 2.4's that require you to block off some of the drain holes in the deck. I used a 2g 4G63 head gasket on my na 2.4 build. The holes in the gasket are large enough for the 2.4 pistons.

89Mirageman

Any idea what cars they were from? I've never heard that before. Wideblock MM/D50 maybe?

donniekak

The narrow block 2.4's are in late 80's galants, 92 expos, and the late 80's early 90's sonatas.

I know for sure the 86 galant block I have in my garage (g64b) needs two holes drilled in the deck between #1 and the timing belt.

Last edited:

Jesus_Negros

Quoting 89Mirageman:
Any idea what cars they were from? I've never heard that before. Wideblock MM/D50 maybe?

The narrowblock 2.4 6bolt you pulled for me like 5 years ago, didn't require such work.

Last edited by a moderator:

donniekak

The dohc g4cs block already have the passage, and I'm not sure on 92 expo blocks. The sohc g64b blocks out of the late 80's galants don't and need drilled.

It's not hard, you just lay a head gasket on the block and drill the 2 small holes that aren't there between #1 and cylinder and the timing belt side of the block.

GVR4_1636

Eight and a half to one :ratio The crank is a 88-89, is been balanced to 10k rpm. All arp,d with the oil pan on ready to go. Wiseco pistons and I forgot what type of beam the rod is I will ask him again before I answer that. the head is ready for arp and some cams w/3 g lifters

Last edited:

tektic

8.5:1 factoring in what head volume and gasket thickness? 100mm crank I'm assuming? are the pistons oversized?
Your still going to need the head drilled out for the 6-bolt style hardware.

check out this page Project zero dohc head swap
This is a general dohc swap parts list for some other things you may have overlooked, like timing components.
This is a Link where they talk about the head stud mod you will need to do.

Last edited:

GVR4_1636

The head is ready to go I'm lacking some misc. hardware and software also a couple sockets and Bolt ons. The head gasket is in the trunk. Its a felpro composite idk what size it is. The previouse owner wanted to get it on a fp black or something similar with 272s.

Last edited:

362Ryan

I take it you must be stock bore size of 86.5mm if you are going with the felpro if it is a permatorque.

Last edited:

GVR4_1636

If I want to go e85. What intake and exhaust mani combo would u use? I'm also debating a fuel cell. I guess what I really want to ask is " I need need some input on what you guys would run on this long block from engine to drivetrain. I'm going for 700hp. The car is s long way from finished I have abs aws deletes going down next weekend and 5 lug the following. Brake lines and rotors next, some electrical wiring prep. and then onto the motor. I also want to get some weight reduction while I'm in all of these areas.. I'm lost for fuel set ups there are so many I have looked into fuel labs set ups but for the entirety I don't know what parts to run with software. Putting this all down in notes is where I'm at now

donniekak

Unless you run an auto, that 2.4 is going to tear your trans to shreds, especially with a turbo that spools around 4k or sooner.

Your best bet for a manual trans would be a large intake mani, large cams(225* + @ .050"), and a large turbo with a big turbine housing. Any setup that has a hard hit to it is going to shatter a manual trans.

tektic

Quoting GVR4_1636:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif I want to get this thing on the road asap this is just the start for me.

700hp? I'm out. good luck.

GVR4_1636

Lol @ tektic I know exactly what you mean. That's how I feel. I thought of parting it out it it's all ready to go. I have another galant stock with mods that I might just throw the motor into

Jesus_Negros

Any reason why 700hp?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned