The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

GSX_TC

Quoting Romanova:
Valve cover looks nice. Was that the one I sold you awhile back?

Thanks man, no this is my old one, I still have the one you sold me, I'll eventually do the same to that one and throw it on one of my 1g's.

GSX_TC

Our GVR4 line up pic at the Shootout made this years cover for the 2015 DSM Tuners calendar!!! Be sure to get yours just in time for the New Year!

click

GSX_TC

Got my GSC S3 cams for the VR4! 280/280's baby! These cams came from the original Evil Eagle aka Jake Montgomery. Such an honor!!

Jesus_Negros

I remember when 272/272 used to be the shnazz

GSX_TC

I know right. First it was OMG 264's! Then 272's now 280's are just the "nice choice" setup. Got people going with 288's now a days too lol.

4thStroke

As far as breather systems go, my best result came from running lines from the stock breathers from the VC to a catch can with drop tubes that force the VC pressure to the bottom of the can. I have two outlets at the top in which the air and vapor must travel through baffles and SS mesh to reach. Those outlets are then routed to the turbo inlet. This cleared up mostly all my in boost smoke, as my motor is old and loose. I haven't tampered with my factory VC, otherwise I probably would have went with AN fittings to allow for larger lines, but I like my sh*t to run and prefer minimal down time. I also added a drain to bottom so I can drain whatever builds up. Running ethanol, there can be quite a bit of fluid that needs to be drained and largely depends on the time of year. Mine was modeled after the Saikou Michi catch can but tailored to my own liking as I made it myself.

Reroute and filter that sh*t, don't VTA.

slugsgomoo

great cams, but Jake got banned from NABR because he's a sh*t head and a thief who ripped off one of my buddies over a shearer manifold to the tune of ~1000 lol

ApexHunter

Great point about E85.

If you are using a VTA system that does not create a draw on the crankcase during off boost operation, you will really want to keep an eye on oil dilution. That sh*t will knock your 50 weight (or whatever you're running) down with a quickness.

GSX_TC

I need to remove the tank and see if any oil is in there yet so I can clean it.

Last edited:

turbowop

You guys make this sound really f***ing complicated. I've been running a VTA catchcan for over a decade. I just drain it once in a while. Works fine.

Though I don't suggest it for a daily driver in an area that sees freezing temps because if the lines freeze it will create issues.

ApexHunter

I guess oil dilution is not really the right word here, as e85 and oil don't have a tendency to mix. Since alcohol attracts water, condensation is more the issue. If the PCV valve is gone, the blow by vapors are not being drawn into the intake tract during low throttle operation and combusted. Hence the propensity towards condensation, which will dilute your oil.

If you use are using gasoline, it certainly will mix with oil, and dilute the fuel that way. Engines using larger piston to wall clearances will generally experience more blow by and therefore be more susceptible. None of this to say that a VTA system won't work or will ruin your engine, it's just good to know and keep an eye on the condition of the oil. UOAs (I've always used Blackstone too) are an easy and effective way to figure out the correct intervals for whatever your setup is.

turbofonz

I have friends that fill up their cans in 1-2 quarter mile passes. Built motor to stock motor is a big difference.

I have Calan sealed can that I LOVE on my 1g, it never fills up with my stock motor, except from when it gets cold cold out. That e85 get's yucky.

turbowop

Quoting 4thStroke:
And I remember how you thought my can was a f***ing good idea when I was out in Yakima.

I still do and I like the idea of a sealed setup. I just don't think people need to get all crazy about it. I'm sure for what Mike plans to do with the car his VTA setup will work fine. That's all I'm saying.

turbowop

Quoting coyotes:
how many miles have you put on your car in a decade?

Probably 30k miles on a VTA catchcan setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

tektic

I was under the impression VTA only worked on map based tuning. Is that what your using, SD?

I kept the stock routes but doubled the line sizes. I didn't notice much of any oil slick in the ic but intended to install cans when I came across a more elegant container. I'm using a maf based tune. Quite a bit of air is pulled through my valve cover at idle. If I pinch the line the car bogs down.

turbowop

Quoting tektic:
I was under the impression VTA only worked on map based tuning. Is that what your using, SD?

You're thinking of the BOV being vented to atmosphere.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts