The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine wear normal?

362Ryan

Eagle cranks are not the best machined pieces. I had to have mine ground because it was out of round. (Brand new out of the box)

prove_it

I've heard the same thing. Most likely the mains failed due to the contaminated oil. It really doesn't take long to wash the bearings out.

Do you remember what clearances you had?

prove_it

Oh and be sure to disassemble the oil pump and check for issues there. You said #4 was the worst, which indicates possible oil pressure failure.

tektic

I only pulled the last main cap . Put it back in and started to pull the block. Wouldn't the rod bearings in between the the two mains be in the same condition if it was oil starvation?

prove_it

Typically yes. Once you get it apart, lay it all out and get a "group" shot of the rod and mains. Then we can all weigh in on this.

Really starting to suck huh? I can feel your pain from here. Good thing you did dig deeper though to check it all out.

tektic

Engine is out and I have an appointment on monday to see the builder. I'll post pictures.

tektic

he said it looked like glass bead. The only thing I could think of was that there was some crap in an intake manifold I test fit on the stand but didn't use. I had it blasted but I don't remember cleaning it. I just don't have a better explanation. After looking at the oil pump and digging out the crap in there it seems plausible.

prove_it

How well was the block cleaned prior to assembly? I know sometimes the oil galleys get missed on a through clean. I know some places that won't even push a bore cleaner through.

Also the crank can be a nasty hiding place for junk. BogusSVO wrote up about that.

tektic

He did all the cleaning. It was a new crank.

I cleaned out three sets of 3g lifters yesterday. The ones I just took out had next to nothing in any of them. The ones from the motor before I rebuilt it were gross and that engine never saw the road.

I soaked the first set in diesel fuel and the last set I just filled with break part cleaner. Maybe anything in there was forced out with the spray from the straw? Still the set i just took out was much much cleaner.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned