The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intermittent CEL + stumble

coyotes

Been having trouble figuring this one out. Didn't do it all summer, it did it once or twice last winter/spring when it was rainy and cool. It only seems to happen when it is rainy for at least a few days.

Car runs and drives fine. Sometimes the engine light will come on (only does it on the drive home from work, not in the morning on the way in). Car will drive the same, CEL will go away after 10-15 seconds. It will go away, then come back. Happens 3-4 times, then it will be fine again. Sometimes the car will miss once or twice, but the car otherwise runs and drives the same. I can't get the CEL because it goes away before I can read it. WTF.

Any ideas?

coyotes

I can't get my logger to read the code, will have to do it the old fashioned way another time.

matt92vr4

I've had a similar situation with a loose fuel injector clip.

coyotes

That was suggested before, I've tried wiggling them to see if one stumbles, but couldn't replicate the issue.

ktmrider

86/2000 had a similar issue after a fuel pump re-wire.

Ultimately found the Egay kit ( yes let the slamming start now ) used a horribly cheap relay. If the voltage to the relay feed got below +11V it would "flutter". Also wouldn't start sometimes on cold mornings. Disconnected the relay ( I'd wired it to swap easily ) and the issues went away.

GSTwithPSI

You can pull the code using one of the old DVOM meters with the sweeping needle. You can find them at the parts store for like $10 bucks. Way back before I was ballin with ECMlink, that's what I used to use to pull codes on my 1g.

As far as the Ebay rewire kit, nothing really to slam there. Kinda hard to f*** up a fuse, wire and a relay. Even if you got it from the parts store, all that sh*t is made in China anyways. Surprised the relay failed like that, but then again, not too surprised.

Last edited:

coyotes

Quoting ktmrider:
86/2000 had a similar issue after a fuel pump re-wire.

Ultimately found the Egay kit ( yes let the slamming start now ) used a horribly cheap relay. If the voltage to the relay feed got below +11V it would "flutter". Also wouldn't start sometimes on cold mornings. Disconnected the relay ( I'd wired it to swap easily ) and the issues went away.

I have a fuel pump rewire but it had done this problem before then. Also this didn't do this all summer. and now that I think of it, if I start the car and immediately drive it, sometimes it will "lag" a little bit or feel strained. for like a few seconds, then it "wakes up" and then drives fine. Usually when I start it I will wait 30 seconds before driving it. This is usually on cold starts. Maybe my FPR is going out or my fuel pump. I have a walbro 255 ready to drop in, just waiting to get an FPR to go with it.

I don't think a fuel pump or regulator would give me a CEL though.

Last edited:

coyotes

Plugs and plug wires are brand new NGK (as of December last year, about 4k miles on them)

I will test resistance on the TPS

89Mirageman

I had a mighty max that would only act up if it was raining outside. I grabbed another throttle body and coil from a member on here and replaced both of them at the same time and it fixed it. Sadly I have no idea which part did the trick.

Mn92gvr4

I was having a similar issue with 936. turned out the main ignition relay under the passenger dash would wiggle loose, engine would miss and the cel would come on for a few seconds before going away. Fixed it with a few cable ties.

AllanL

Quoting coyotes:
Got the codes pulled, it is throwing a 14 and 44, which is TPS and ignition coil.

TPS would do those things...

hesitation, stumble...had same issue and after reomivng the TPS, found out the TPS lower bolt hole was cracked already...

better to reset the TPS onto the throttle body.

1G and 2G TPSs have different resetting methods...

coyotes

Quoting Mn92gvr4:
I was having a similar issue with 936. turned out the main ignition relay under the passenger dash would wiggle loose, engine would miss and the cel would come on for a few seconds before going away. Fixed it with a few cable ties.

which one is the ignition relay?

coyotes

Well, I made sure all the plugs behind the glovebox were snug, car seems to be running better? It had some idle surge before sometimes..

We'll see if the CEL comes back.

coyotes

Car still throws the CEL, but hasn't done the stumble. It only happens when it's cooler (below 50) and wet outside. If it's dry, or if it's above 50, it won't do it. Weird.

If the TPS is out of adjustment, will it throw the code, or only if it is going bad?

I am going to get my throttle body rebuilt, can I get the blockoff plates without ECMlink?

prove_it

Get the coolant passage block off plate that still allows the IAC function. You'll hate life trying to drive a car with no IAC, in my opinion, it's worth keeping.

Mn92gvr4

sorry I didn't get back on this sooner. I don't have a photo device at the moment but on 936 it is a gold/brass colored relay about 1" wide and 3" long located under the glovebox near the center. I will try and get a photo up for you in the morning.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned