The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FS: Carbon Fiber Hood Group Buy (Feeler)

Fiascoxl

My guess is that they would be busy doing regular business and r an d'ing this on the side during free time? That being said they look to be well equipped, the real question is can they reproduce bumpers!

CarRacer

Hahahahahahahahaha

Wookalar

Pot, honorable of you to take on this task given the history of CF group buys and I wish you well in your endeavor.

Having said that, in my humble opinion and based on real life experience living with a aftermarket CF hood from Hi Rev made back in 2010ish, the hood would absolutely no questions need to be made in three pieces. The hood itself and two vent pieces WITH threaded posts built into them and provisions on the under side of the hood so the vents can be installed and removed just like a metal JDM hood.

Reason why three separate pieces are needed: Because after only a few thousand miles of street driving in mostly cooler months (no traffic, it's not a DD, no track use, just putting around town basically) I have determined that the heat from the engine/exhaust mani is so strong in that area that it is the main culprit of the cracks in the horizontal slats of my vents.

The biggest fail with the HIRev hoods was that they glued the vents to the main hood. This leaves one with no way to remove and replace the vents once the heat has baked them to the point where they (vents, plastic type resin) eventually will crumble away. Mine horizontal slats are in the beginning stages of deterioration with mild to moderate cracking. I can provide a pic for reference.

Yes I feel the mold should be of a JDM unit, not a US spec hood as I believe those are still available made by someone here in the states. The need to alleviate heat from the engine bay is a high priority IMO. Do a vented hood or don't do it at all.

In closing, I am too poor to afford one anyways so unfortunately I cannot put my name on the list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck.

Wookalar

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Any way you cut it, $500 + shipping for a JDM hood is cheaper than the real thing. I'm interested to see how this progresses.

All said and done I have about 900 into my HiRev CF JDM replica hood:

CF hood was about 675 which included insurance in case of damage during shipping. Hi Rev did pack the hood well though, wrapping it with a foam border and bolting rectangle wooden pieces to protect the corners nearest the windshield, wrapping it entirely in bubble wrap and then boxing it. It was very light when I received it, just the size obviously is why the shipping cost was high.

Aerocatch latch mechanism was 125 ish online.

Good foil was about 110 ish online and that doesn't include the few hours a day I spent for two weeks to stencil the gold carefully for the vallies and skeleton frame so I could lay down the foil trying to make it look half way decent.

My guess is they will begin the process and find that they simply cannot make a quality part for 500. Check labor hours at any body shop that is skilled in FG or CF and that rate multiplied by hours it will take to mold a hood and then go over that mold and smooth out any imperfections, dings, scratches. Then remake the mold and finally start laying weave and trimming. Then after all trimming of the weave is done, then begin resin. Many steps involved.

strokin4dr

That would be nice but I hood would have to be already exist to make the mold from. I know of at least one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Good luck getting it to have a mold made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

transparentdsm

Quoting 1dvsdsm:
anyone got a real jdm hood they would want to lend for this?

if we could work something out where i get a regular hood for my car and a deposit incase something happens to my hood ill help out.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting tektic:
How about a set of evo 3 style vents that work with the usdm hood skeleton?

Bigger vents as the Evo 3 vents would make it very appealing, more function.

strokin4dr

slugsgomoo

If you make a trunk, I will buy one. I will not put down a deposit. I was one of the lucky few who didn't get burned on the last group buy and I rolled the dice on that one since most did...

Not that I think you'll be the next in a long line of group buy debacles, but here's my stance, after watching them go wrong:

Many people want these parts

Many people will buy these parts

Step 1) build parts
Step 2) sell parts
Step 3) ????
Step 4) Profit! (underpants gnomes probably can't help)

There is plenty of demand, figure out how many need to sell to cover the costs of the pieces and the mold, and build & sell those. Then you're in gravy after that. How many group buys do we have that have gone wrong now?

CF
CF
Shift Knobs
????

so... yeah.

One last thing I'll point out, the US skeleton has to be cut for JDM/EVO vents, and unless it's a full dry carbon layup (read $1500+ easy) the hood is not strong enough IMO. If you're going to make a vented hood, you need the right skeleton.

I'd consider re-working the skeleton to provision for hood pins as well if possible, since the area in the front requires some substantial cutting to put the latches in, and running a composite hood without pins is a good way to need a new hood & windshield.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Quoting Wookalar:
My guess is they will begin the process and find that they simply cannot make a quality part for 500. Check labor hours at any body shop that is skilled in FG or CF and that rate multiplied by hours it will take to mold a hood and then go over that mold and smooth out any imperfections, dings, scratches. Then remake the mold and finally start laying weave and trimming. Then after all trimming of the weave is done, then begin resin. Many steps involved.

I would have to agree. $500 does seem like a bargain when you consider the amount of work it takes to make a quality part. I was under the assumption there was some sort of discount applied after the 15 hood minimum is met. Even so, $7,500 doesn't seem like a lot of money when you think about all the steps involved.

I think Pot was trying to combat this issue by having someone visit the production facility weekly, to see the progress and monitor the process. So many what-ifs, which is what makes this such a difficult task to undertake.

Wookalar

Quoting strokin4dr:

That would be THE hood to make in CF as long as the under side skeleton was as nice as the top so that the heat shielding could be bolted on. Likely a 1500 dollar hood or more though when all is said and done.

The only thing I would change is move the air intake opening down a bit to where most people build a air box for their air filter.

If someone is going to make provisions for vents and heat shielding to bolt on I would recommend they use those metal threaded eyelets that can be molded into the glass/weave. Their technical word escapes me at the moment but I have seen them on high dollar cars such as the Aventador and Veyron where they bolt the back half of the frame to the carbon tub.

Last edited:

89Patches

Did you know there is nothing different between Evo 1,2 & 3 hood vents? Or the hood for that matter?

Just thought I'd share that....

coyotes

As in a VR4 hood with evo III sized hood vents in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

89Patches

Lol what I am getting at is that Evo 1,2 and 3 all share the same hood/hood vents. Just noticed that people are selling them as "Evo 3 hood vents". I just hope people aren't buying them thinking that only Evo 3's came with these vents and paying stupid prices for them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jesus_Negros

Can they make us sine body kits toi?

ghostinthevr4

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

I think Pot was trying to combat this issue by having someone visit the production facility weekly, to see the progress and monitor the process. So many what-ifs, which is what makes this such a difficult task to undertake.

Can you imagine trying to visit this place every week for 5-6 months. I don't think anyone is capable of that not only that the workers would get sick and tired of seeing some one bugging them every week.

The Evo vent idea is good on paper but Evo vents are very hard to come by.

Do you people really think the carbon fiber curse has lifted from this forum? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned