The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Is my Cyclone coil pack bracket too low?

matt92vr4

Hi everyone, I've been making some brackets for the Cyclone intake manifold. After a triple take look at the coil pack, I'm thinking it might be too low and interfere with the AC. Can you guys determine this from these pics? Thanks in advance for your help.

tektic

Looks like it wil likely hit the ac. You can look at my build thread to see mine. I had to cut the support bracket to clear the ac also.

matt92vr4

Thank you! Your build thread is the one that alerted me to this potential problem, thank you for posting that. I noticed that yours are angled in the direction of the wires. Did you use all 3 bolt holes, or only 2?

crazydriver81

It looks like the bracket is not for a cyclone manifold. This is the OE coil pack...

FlyingEagle

Staff member
How come the brace is cut on the driver side, for the second support point on the manifold?

Possible to weld back in some of that bracket?

matt92vr4

Thanks for the pic. I should have stated that I'm modifying all of the USA brackets to work on the Cyclone. I didn't have any flat metal scrap so I'm cutting up a few old Mitsu brackets etc.

I just raised the coil pack bracket about an inch and angled it up in the back so the coils are pointing a little toward the spark plugs (like tekics). I think it will work now.

You caught me in the middle of modifying the USA main support bracket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I was doing that when I noticed the coil packs were sitting too low. I cut the drivers side portion off so i can relocate it over a little. I'm headed out to weld it back together and add a vacuum can holder.

matt92vr4

Brackets are painted and drying, thanks for your help. I'll post pics when they dry.

I have a drawer of Mitsu solenoids. I dug them out trying to find a FPR solenoid to use. It appears as though my original Galant FPR solenoid has the nipple broken off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I have a number of others from 3000GT's and Monteros over the years. Do you guys know if any of these part numbers will work?

What I believe to be the stock FPR is stamped "K5T47184". Others I have:

K5T43984
K5T43596
K5T48271
K5T47172
K5T47698
K5T48086

matt92vr4

I think I'm ready for that welding position available in China hehe

belize1334

FWIW I had to grind off the boss on the manifold to clear the AC compressor back when I originally installed mine. Luckily it's pretty soft aluminum so you can knock it back with a hack saw and then clean it up with a hand file.

bradrs

Quoting matt92vr4:
Brackets are painted and drying, thanks for your help. I'll post pics when they dry.

Some of the brackets serve extra functions besides just holding the item. They can be heat sinks, or grounds. Painting over the bracket can mess up both of those functions.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Good point Brad.

TJ

I painted my Transistor bracket and installed it, much like our guy in this thread.

I saw the base of the transistor/heat sink and figured a clean surface would have to do for the time being.

Wonder where the best places to get that cadmium plating would be?

Is that what they call the coating on most of the metal parts, that look rather yellow?

I'm sure the green stuff is a different coating altogether.

/TJ

matt92vr4

My PTU bracket is not painted behind the PTU.

bradrs

Quoting FlyingEagle:
Good point Brad.

TJ

I painted my Transistor bracket and installed it, much like our guy in this thread.

I saw the base of the transistor/heat sink and figured a clean surface would have to do for the time being.

Wonder where the best places to get that cadmium plating would be?

Is that what they call the coating on most of the metal parts, that look rather yellow?

I'm sure the green stuff is a different coating altogether.

/TJ

I think what was on our car brackets is a cadium plating. Which many places no longer do, due to the environmental concerns. It is toxic, and should not be handled, so it is now only used in applications where nothing else is acceptable.

It has been replaced with several other types of plating, but I don't think any of them work as well as the old cadmium plating overall. I don't know what to suggest as a replacement right now. Some of the zinc coatings people do are mostly decorative, not very protective. Nickel plating looks good, but has its downsides as well. The best sounding substitute for these brackets, from what I have read, may be a tin-zinc.

matt92vr4

Update in case anyone is using this as a guide. Boy I hope the Cyclone manifold is worth it! Today I dropped the engine in. The main support bracket hit the AC compressor. I had to shave off a little from that side. Also, the PTU bracket is OK but it cannot be removed without loosening all 3 AC compressor bolts and sliding it back 1/2" or so.

I had fun making these things, but honestly with the amount of time spent it would have been better to buy the Cyclone brackets. Next time a coil pack goes bad I'll wish I did for sure.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned