The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What suspension set up is best!?

ExplicitCC

Whats up guys I have a question on what setup to do with #901 I bought a KYB AGX ground controls on here and they need to be rebuilt(is possible), back when I had my Evo8MR I had Tein top of the line Coilovers with damper control but didn't like the ride so I changed it to the Bilstein with swift springs and love it, so my questions are...
Should I stick to my KYB setup and have the rebuilt? go with the Evo MR setup? or 2g setup? also open to other options, I want a somewhat confortable ride but will be launching it now and then and will also do little rally nothing big just a few laps... thanks for your help

Jesus_Negros

I think it's whatever feels best to you. You'll have to play around with it and see what you like best.

Last edited by a moderator:

transparentdsm

i have evo 9 MR's on 138 and i love them, im still running on the stock springs and i really enjoy the ride, when i launch i get a bit of a pull and i think its the suspension because the front rides an inch higher then the rear. its not bad and totally controllable, but i think if the car was level it wouldn't be an issue and all and back when i had 1375 i had the evo8 mr's with the swifts and it was prolly my favorite ride feel ever and when i launched that it was smooth. im prolly going to get them for 138 soon, just need to save the money.

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

Anything is better than AGXs

presterone

I really like my BC coilovers. I ordered them with softer springs 5k front and 4k rear I think? The ride is firm but not jarring and I still have a decent suspension travel. It took a while to get the preload set right but damn do I like them.

ExplicitCC

Quoting transparentdsm:
i have evo 9 MR's on 138 and i love them, im still running on the stock springs and i really enjoy the ride, when i launch i get a bit of a pull and i think its the suspension because the front rides an inch higher then the rear. its not bad and totally controllable, but i think if the car was level it wouldn't be an issue and all and back when i had 1375 i had the evo8 mr's with the swifts and it was prolly my favorite ride feel ever and when i launched that it was smooth. im prolly going to get them for 138 soon, just need to save the money.

What's the process to make these fit? Found some for a good price

transparentdsm

for the rears i had pieces welded in, but now there are adapters for direct bolt on and for the front you need to drill 2 holes in each strut tower and widen the the knuckles mounting holes to 19mm and get new longer bolts. you also need a 2mm spacer on each side of the knuckle between that and the lower strut mounting tabs. a lot of people have had problem with the rear brake lines so i came up with my own solution, i wrapped the strut in heat tape and then zip-ties the brake line to it. had it like this for a long time now and i have had zero negative effect and yes i do check it often as i do a good visual exam of the car every 3 month or 5000 miles depending on what comes first. i drive my car hard and i drive my car a lot and i don't need something to happen because of lazy maintenance. check my build thread out in the general section second page i think.

turbohf

i have evo9 kyb's with stock cut springs in front, and ST lowering springs in the rear (untouched). ride is good and comfortable. i think its too soft though. i like a firm suspension. i have Cusco zero2's on my Integra, Tien RE's on the Integra before. even with the car low it was firm and comfortable with little to no bounce unless it was brutal hit. thinking the Galant will be getting something similar on its next round of mods.

ApexHunter

I would suggest sticking with the Evo Bilsteins and then the compatible spring set of your choice. This is a great setup and you've already had good experience with it on your Evo. Both cars have similar curb weight and weight distribution, and overall everyone seems to love it on their gvr4. KYB AGX will not be able to deliver the same performance and ride. I had the AGXs with some 1G DSM Eibach ProKits, and they were pretty sucky. I went from that to BC's. It was definitely a big upgrade, but i wasn't super impressed. They are a great value though if that is your budget.

If you are going to be doing some rally-esque activities, the Bilsteins are going to be more durable as well, so long as you do the retrofit properly and they have ample stroke and proper bumpstops (choose springs wisely). Even then, that is a little outside their original scope. If you are serious about rally stuff, perhaps look at some GVR4 specific Hot Bits spec'd for your needs. Availability can be tricky from what i can tell. May be worth it though. I went for a ride in a car that had DT2s, and they felt pretty sweet.

Last edited:

ExplicitCC

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'll stick with the Evo MR setup

prove_it

I really like my EVO Muellerized JIC's .... That's a nice ride.

362Ryan

The best would be a Reiger setup. Not reasonable though.
Since I don't have $20k to drop on coilovers, I will end up going with a set of Ohlins.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned