The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS delete

turbohf

more tech, but seems like a newb question. but info im finding seems to be scattered/incomplete.

~so i CAN use non-ABS lines from a DSM?

~do they need to be a AWD DSM?

~proportioning valve...? sounds like i would need one from a AWD DSM? but i dont have one of those available to me, think i have a single cam and dual cam non-turbo FWD at the JY. one of those work fine?

~am i missing anything important? lol

i will also be installing a 3G MC at the same time.

89Patches

I used lines from a FWD and a prop valve from an FWD.

So in conclusion, Yes you can use lines and prop valves from a FWD or AWD 1G.

GSTwithPSI

~so i CAN use non-ABS lines from a DSM? Yes. But you can also reuse the lines you already have if you cut them shorter, re-flare the ends and bend them as needed. All I did was repurpose the lines that were removed. For the 2 lines that go from the prop valve to the front brakes, I cut the old lines to fit, and just re-flared the ends. Really, I only needed to do the driver side; the passenger side plugged right in. The feed ports from the MC to prop valve are another story if you are swapping in a 3G MC. See below for those...

~do they need to be a AWD DSM? Yes. You need an AWD DSM prop valve from the correct year DSM. Depending on what split point you're shooting for, you need to pick the correct valve. See the chart here for the split points correlating to specific model years: click

~am i missing anything important? lol. i will also be installing a 3G MC at the same time. Yes, you are missing something. You can't just bolt in a 3G MC without some custom modification. You need to buy custom adapters to do the conversion properly. The 3G master cylinder feed ports are bubble flared, whereas the stock hard lines are double flared. You can check out these threads for more info: Bubble flare on 3G MC? 3G MC install and all the stuff you need

Last edited:

turbohf

not sure i understand a split point? looks like from that chart that the Galant has the highest front brake bias.

pretty sure there where 2 non-ABS cars in the yard. one would be a 4200 the other 2500.... so get the 2500? or go with one closer to the original /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

reminds me, i was aware of the bubble/inverted thing. was gonna go the route that several others have and just tighten it down and hope it doesnt leak. if it does, or if im lazy and dont do the swap this week, ill order the fittings and SS line to replace that one. (in the second link, thanks, now i dont have to look for it again lol)

i dont have the tools/skill to bend/bubble lines.

tektic

click

MY valve isn't on this list though. Anyone know what a galant gsx came with for proportioning? assuming its same as gs... but did gs come with rear disk?

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

I have a FWD proportioning valve, seems to work fine

Last edited:

From Galant service manual

year, model, split point without abs

to 1990.5, FWD, 4200

to 1990.5, AWD, 5200

to 1992, FWD SHOC, 4200

to 1992, FWD DHOC, 3700

1993, SOHC, 4200

1993 DOHC 3700

Yes, GS and GSR had rear disk brakes

Quoting tektic:
click

MY valve isn't on this list though. Anyone know what a galant gsx came with for proportioning? assuming its same as gs... but did gs come with rear disk?

Last edited:

turbohf

4 brake lines and the valve, $11.12...feel ripped off LOL.

btw, can i slide the AC compressor out once i pull those lines and the MC?

turbohf

*INSTALLED*

thanks.

btw/notes: AC compressor can be easily pulled out from the top once the BMC is removed. removing the ABS sh*t is a bitch. ABS modulator is heavy. AC compressor is heavy. and also, ABS light comes on when you remove all that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

oh, parts i used where all off a 90-91 FWD DOHC non-turbo DSM. works great.

Last edited:

coyotes

Time to yank the light on the dash?

Now come do mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif How much was your total cost to remove ABS?

turbohf

Quoting coyotes:
Time to yank the light on the dash?

Now come do mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif How much was your total cost to remove ABS?

oh yeah, forgot to note that. other than being super careful not to break the bezel, its awesome pulling the cluster in the GVR4! all the damn Honda's have 2-3 plugs and sometimes a speedo cable you need to monkey around with blindly behind there. wow, so easy.

but yeah, pulled her out. yanked the ABS and stupid seat belt light that loves to flash for a min or so after startup, i assume because i pulled the fuse on those motors i hate so much... then OF COURSE the fuel light bulb is different so i had to run to the parts store.

total: $17.64 + way to much labor (i was in no hurry).... oh if you wanna count the 3G MC, i think that was $35 shipped?

turbohf

i took some pics, so why not?

IMG_20140731_181543.jpg

shitty picture of the ABS junk. off to the left you might notice the AC compressor (in a pile of junk Honda single cam motors)

IMG_20140731_181533.jpg

3G MC... took a little bending of the lines. looks legit.

IMG_20140731_181528.jpg

lots of room down there now. need to do something about the big ass hole /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

IMG_20140731_181521.jpg

engine bay shot, cuz it was on the phone... still needs some work/cleaning/valvecover painted...

IMG_20140728_195353.jpg

i need to find a better spot to take pics lol. that was the best one. just backed it out the shop, clicked off a couple.

thats about it.

turbohf

Quoting 89Patches:
Why pull the bulb for the ABS light? You just unplug the abs computer thing in the truck...

really? damnit. i wanted to pull the bulb for that seat belt warning, and replace the fuel light that has never worked. so wasnt for nothing.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Actually you can just pull the fuse on the battery terminal.

marvinmadman

Quoting iceman69510:
Actually you can just pull the fuse on the battery terminal

I had to unplug the abs module to turn the light off

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts