The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help, radiator issues.

GSTwithPSI

Good deal. At this point, you could just put the cap back on and take it for a short drive to see if it leaks. That would be the quickest and easiest way to tell...

...You don't mean compression test, as in cylinder compression test, do you?

Last edited:

MRmeeTooxD

I actually drove it yesterday like a mad man. And surprised to see no leaks at all and no bubbling. So my real test would be, compression an coolant test. And I'll be going on expressway for a nice pull to see if I have bubbling after.

GSTwithPSI

What happened to your floorboard getting wet? A compression test won't tell you anything about the cooling system unless your head gasket is leaking (or you have major damage to components such as cracked head, block, etc.). I doubt you have any of this, as I'd think you would definitely notice after flogging the car on the expressway.

What exactly are you talking about when you talk about seeing bubbling? Like removing the radiator cap and checking for bubbles? If so, that's not going to tell you much since the system will produce small bubbles as a result of normal operation. Now, if you are referring to coolant boiling, that's different. Like we told you before, boiling coolant is typically caused by a leak in the system. The only way to correct this is to fix the leak.

Either the system leaks, or it doesn't. You can check this 2 ways: With a cooling system pressure tester, or by running the car and looking for coolant shitting out of the system somewhere. Anything else is a waste of time until you determine whether there is a leak or not. Once you determine if there is a leak, then do a compression test or whatever you need to in order to try and pinpoint the leak. If you troubleshoot in a logical sequence and understand why you are doing tests (and when to do them), it will save you a lot of time and decrease the chances of incorrect diagnoses.

Last edited:

MRmeeTooxD

OK the bubbles aren't like bubbles u see foaming or just multiple in one shot. It was just one or two at a time. And I touched the spot after driving it wasn't moist either. And smelled like water ghat just sat ...

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Ok, I understand now. Either way, checking for bubbles wouldn't be the method I use to reliably check for proper operation of the cooling system.

How are you removing the cap and checking for bubbles after driving the car anyways? If you are driving the car around and then pulling the cap afterwards to check for bubbles, coolant should be shooting out at your face. If this isn't the case, you really have a large leak somewhere, since this would mean the system isn't even building up pressure on its own with the radiator cap installed/system sealed up.

mitsuturbo

A cap that doesn't hold enough pressure would allow the overflow to fill up more than would be desired, i think. Is the cap new?

GSTwithPSI

^ True story. I just assumed the cap was new, but this would have been a good point to bring up before all of my suggestions. How new is the cap, and what's it rated at?

turbowop

The caps I've had go bad on me just leaked enough for the system to not be able to build pressure. So they just leaked air to the reservoir basically. I actually just replaced a cap last fall for that reason. Upper hose would always stay soft. But no overflow or boiling issues.

coyotes

I had a cap that was bad, would steam all the water out of the system. I replaced it, then my water pump started leaking. Replaced that, then o-ring on water pipe started leaking. then I removed turbo which was melted to pieces, and now here I am with my car halfway torn apart. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

MRmeeTooxD

When the issue existed. The boiling would come swarming right out of reservoir. So I took for a run an it didn't happen again. Drive good pulled great.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts