The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Re-wire fuel pump/ not getting fuel

Tbmeudt

Hey all, so my 545/1000 has been messed with electrically by the previous owner and I've run into a problem. When I crank the car I get spark but fuel is not being pumped. MPI relay is clicking, mpi fuse is not blowing, and I can even hear my pump working but no fuel (yes tank has fuel and battery is good) what I want to know is a walk through on how to properly and safely rewire the pump. I'm new to fuel pumps so details would be great! Or a link on how to.And any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a walbro 255. Also just curious is the stock mpi relay really needed or is there a way to separately set the fuel pump up. Again I'm new to this subject.

92_talon_awd

I could tell you how it is done, but if you want a walkthrough with pics, it has been done here. click

swe_gvr4_1991

First pic is not a re-wire at all. it's just a wire loop. No relay present.
Wonder why they did that hackjob in the first place?

4th and 5th pics show the main 12v wire hooked up directly to the MPI relay. It takes that route in the stock schematic too. But that wiring does look a bit bogus.

Hope this info helps you along the way.

Last edited:

tombaman

Almost bought that vr4. The thing that scared me the most was the amount of wiring that needed done. Good luck with it

Tbmeudt

Thanks guys, yea I will take the pump out tomorrow and check it out, any other really important wires from the mpi fuse that are needed for making the pump work, the pump was making sounds but not sending fuel. Maybe I'm not getting enough volts, I'll check that tomorrow also.

tektic

If you hear the pump working than you should check fuel pressure and make sure the injectors are getting signal to fire.

Last edited:

92_talon_awd

^+1^ I'd test the pump on the bench, if you can hear it running but nothing is coming out up front I'd suspect either blockage or faulty pump.

EHmotorsports

Do you think the polarities were switched and the pump is running backwards?

Tbmeudt

Took out pump. Fuel tank is clean and plenty of fuel but I noticed the wire to the walbro has a burn mark. Def looks like it should not be there ha. What do you guys think? The power and ground wires are extremely stiff too ( I did have a battery problem recently I had a ground not connected in the front and it burned off my female terminals to the battery posts, maybe during that it fried this wire)

swe_gvr4_1991

Now that you have the pump out make sure to do a proper re-wire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
It takes like 30 minutes to complete.

Tank is looking good though.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned