The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ETS Intercooler Kit - Questions

mrt0mjones

I have been looking through the Search and havent found anything conclusive on the subject.

So with the ETS kit, it states some bumper cutting is required... ok, how much?

Does this kit interfere with A/C?

Is the ETS air filter relocation kit absolutely necessary?

Does anyone have pictures of this kit installed on their vehicle / engine bay with stock air box?

Thanks for all of your help in advance guys!

manikbastrd

I may have some pictures I will look, however, I can guarantee it fits with stock filter and location. Also, a far as cutting, you have to cut the crash bar (metal bit under the bumper cover), as well as remove a plate that is next to the radiator where the stock pipe goes through. A/C is not affected with this kit. The only thing you need to worry about with this kit is bolting it in, and you may have to get some shorter bolts for your throttle body elbow.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

The newer style kits with the larger hotside/inlet piping is a pretty tight fit, if you still have A/C installed in the car. I experienced some clearance issues with the pipe and some A/C lines going through the core support on the driver's side. The pipe would rub up against the lines, and I didn't think I wanted to deal with that down the road, so i called ETS and sourced another core withe older style inlet, which unfortunately is a smaller diameter than the new style core.

I was told that the newer style kits were mocked up on a car that didn't have A/C installed, so they weren't aware of the issue, and that I was the first one to bring it up.

I wasn't too happy to hear this, but ETS did bend over backwards to work with me, and I eventually got it all sorted out. So, props to ETS and their customer service.

manikbastrd

Mine is a new style kit and it didn't have any fitment issues...It was a little tight but it fit ok in the end.

ghostinthevr4

Like stated above it's a tight fit on the drivers side but you can still fit it with the A/C lines you'll just have to get creative. I think I had to bend the part of the A/C lines at the bulk area where the A/C lines disconnect, I just used a pry bar. As for cutting the bumper support find some one with a plasma cutter to cut the support, it'll take to long with a cut off wheel.

For what it's worth I have the new style setup.

manikbastrd

I used a reciprocating saw and it worked fine. Just make sure to paint it afterwords to prevent oxidation.

jnava

Staff member
I had my ETS kit fit perfectly With the a.c. lines. Maybe it wad just a little different, not sure. I've sourced a core and we will see if there's issue with clearance.

mrt0mjones

Thank you all for the insight.

So I gather ordering the current version may pose issues and may not.
The car is bone stock and I would just like to get rid of the George Forman Grill that they use for the intercooler on this..

Have you guys noticed any raise in cooling temps by doing so? or Overheating issues?

manikbastrd

No overheating issues, but a slight raise in temps. Nothing crazy, 504 never sees more than 210 or so.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned