The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Are all JDM intake manifolds the cyclone version?

LIV4PSI

I had a local friend try to sell me a JDM intake manifold, is it a cyclone? I have no use for it, but I thought some one else might if I got it for cheap.

fuel

yes all JDM inlet manifolds are the cyclone type however there are two variants - one badged as 'CYCLONE' and the other as 'ECI-MULTI'.

LIV4PSI

Both version work on USDM cars correct?

fuel

it will fit but you would need the manifold to block brace and all vacuum pipes/accumulator and a means of triggering the switchover point (JDM ECUs have an additional output to a solenoid).

AnotherNewb

There are two cyclone type manifolds. One is the dual runner and the other is a standard 6 bolt that says cyclone.

fuel

^^ uh.. not on the JDM models. They all have the Cyclone dual runner system. Early models are badged 'CYCLONE' while later models are badged 'ECI-MULTI'.

EHmotorsports

Was it the Euro models that had single runner cyclones? I have seen single runner setups that have cyclone on the plenum.

AnotherNewb

Quoting fuel:
^^ uh.. not on the JDM models. They all have the Cyclone dual runner system. Early models are badged 'CYCLONE' while later models are badged 'ECI-MULTI'.

Damnit I wish I could find a'more 'proving' pic but here is an example of a single runner, 6 bolt style intake manifold badged "cyclone"'

IMG_0602.jpg

conversation regarding non dual runner cyclone intake

And just because someone says something is JDM, doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

fuel

^^ Yes but he's asking about the JDM dual runner manifold specifically!

Just because a manifold says CYCLONE doesn't mean it has CYCLONE, and same goes with the manifolds which are indeed 'Cyclone' but are not badged as such.

Cyclone is just a BADGE, if you were not aware Mitsubishi started slapping CYCLONE badges on just about their whole range of cars from late 1986 through to about 1992. It was merely a marketing ploy and it mostly coincided with a range of updated engines with 12V heads or larger ports (ie 4G15, 4G54 etc).

Only the E38A and E39A VR-4 (and E33A AMG) in Japan received the dual runner manifold system which we came to know as 'CYCLONE' even though the CYCLONE name is used elsewhere including the regular manifolds.

The original poster was asking if ALL the JDM VR-4s came with the 'CYCLONE' style dual runner manifold, which the answer is YES except only the early 87-90 models have the 'CYCLONE' badging while the later 90-92 models had 'ECI-MULTI' badging yet still had the dual runner manifold which we regularly refer to as 'CYCLONE'.

Understand?

AnotherNewb

That was a really long winded way to say yes, I am correct when I said that there was another "cyclone" manifold that isn't dual runner. He mentioned nothing about this manifold coming off of a VR4 and only asks if all JDM manifolds are cyclone.

You don't need to cop an additive with me, I was only providing a bit more information relevant to his question

Understand?

Last edited:

fuel

Why is the other non-JDM type relevant to the question originally asked? It was never fitted on a JDM car and the OP was asking specifically if all JDM inlet manifolds were the Cyclone type.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts