The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Driveshaft Rebuild

jcrimboli

So I just ordered the rebuild kit from JNZ and I'll be tackling it early next week. My question is would it be beneficial to do this: click or is it just something that's a fix for previously worn carrier bearings? It seems like it may have some added benefit even for a new bearing, but I'd rather not do it if it's unnecessary.

losermakesgood

Are you talking about the filing the carrier bearing with silicone? Imho out doesn't need to be done. No reason really of stock they last 100K+ miles. Also are you replacing the lobro joint as well? I thought about this route and just went with a DSS driveshaft.

prove_it

If you have new carrier bearings, leave me them alone. You don't need to fill them. You can cause more harm than good.

jcrimboli

That's kind of what I assumed, but I wanted to be sure since I'd have easy access to everything while it's off the car. And as for the lobro, I've had the driveshaft off already and the dust boot isn't torn so as long as all of the ball bearings check out I'll reuse the old one (as per Jafromobile). The DSS would be a great alternative, but I just can't swing the extra $400 to make that happen at the moment. Plus, I'm a glutton for punishment..

jcrimboli

Not to mention, the DSS only replaces the front 2 shafts so you'd still have one of the carrier bearings to replace and a set of joints.

losermakesgood

Yeah I replaced all that stuff and had it all balanced together, etc etc etc. I had trouble justifying the extra expense as well. But my original one snapped at the front so I needed welding done as well. Made the decision a little easier when cost was to close to not upgrade lol.

EgonOlsen

Feel free to post pics of the rebuild, since im pretty sure I have to do this soon also. Kinda think that sound that reminds me of brakes hanging but isn't is prolly the bearings in the driveshaft.

vr4play

When I rebuilt mine I used the factory carrier bearings and I went ahead and filled them with urethane before installing them. The car gets launched fairly aggressively and I didn't want to have to do it again. No problems what so ever. No noises and it's smooth as glass. The factory unit wasn't designed to take big power so it depends on what your doing with the car.

jcrimboli

Quoting EgonOlsen:
Feel free to post pics of the rebuild, since im pretty sure I have to do this soon also. Kinda think that sound that reminds me of brakes hanging but isn't is prolly the bearings in the driveshaft.

Check out Jafromobile on YouTube. He has a full video walk-through and he's more than thorough. It's waaaay better than any write-up I could do. There's something like 5 different parts to the drive shaft rebuild.

Here ya go: click

losermakesgood

I was gonna mention that YouTube video. You beat me to it. The research I've done is about 50/50 on whether to fill them or not. I figured I'm not going all out with the car so I wasn't gonna bother. Next project is a different story lol. Good luck with the rebuild!

jcrimboli

Thanks man. I definitely want to do some mild track days (1/4 mile and auto-x) so I'm torn. If by chance I did end up doing this could I fill then while they're off the car or would that cause a drying issue? It seems as long as they're level while they dry there's no chance of them drying unevenly. Again, I'm not certain I'm doing it, just a hypothetical.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts