The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Parts for head build?

Boostdtalon

I'm getting ready to start ordering parts building my head. I need opinions and suggestions on some of the parts I've chosen; also I would like suggestions on parts I have yet to match up with my build. The head is stock 1g/GVR4 for anyone that is wondering. I plan on reusing the valves that are in the head as they appeared to be in good order. I do plan on replacing the springs, retainers, guides, and seals. The head had 3g lifters already so that is taken care of. I don't plan on revving my engine over 9K as it will spend 90-95% of its time on the streets. Most of the parts will be ordered thru ExtremePSI, unless I find a better deal elsewhere.

Cams: HKS 272's (I already have these)
Springs: HKS valve springs (already have HKS cams, so why not)
Guides: Topline or Supertech(Not set, would like suggestions on what to choose)
Seals: Topline or Supertech(blue vitons is a must no matter the brand)
Retainers: Manley(unsure of which to go with truth be told)
Valves: OEM

If you feel I would do well with a different setup, than please say. Links to vendors would be appreciated as well. I'm not really set on anything except for the cams and possibly the valve springs.

coyotes

This is totally off topic, but we should meet up some time and rub our VR4s together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

EfiniX

Get the 3g revised lifters as well. Topline makes a great set.

click

AllanL

GUIDES and S/S VALVES [I'm sure he has stock-sized valves, bought from him a few months back. Contact him if you need the guides only]: engnbldr

SEALS: viton seals

SPRINGS: springs

still your choice...

Last edited:

prove_it

That guy is highly recommended. Great prices and all. I wouldn't run the topline guides. PM BogusSVO. He can give all the answers you will need.

EfiniX

Quoting Boostdtalon:
Already have them as stated in previous post.

Ah, sorry, missed that in the body of the email. Just went off the list.

BogusSVO

Make sure the valves have "6T" cast into the valve heads, both intake and exhaust.

I just do not trust the parts store valves.

Forget the HKS springs, the ones I have tested in the past are just weak. For less money Get the BC1100 this is my goto valve spring for stock and small 272 cam set ups. They work well with the stock retainers. But if you want a Ti retainer get the matching BC, in kit form the part number is BC0100

Bronze guides, make doesn't matter much, but the BC and GSC are a bit better finished on the ID, so a tad less work on the final hone of the guide ID.

Blue Vition seals, good choice, here again, ST/GSC/Mine all stand a good chance coming from the same factory and dropped in bags with different labels.

The big thing is use a shop that knows the 4g head, Knows the ins and outs of the set up and has a good surfacer.

prove_it

FWIW, I have the BC springs and retainers, I've got an easy 25k miles on them with no issues. After 18k, my T-belt snapped and had to rebuild. The springs were all perfect with no change in seat pressures.

mitsuturbo

Quoting AllanL:
GUIDES and S/S VALVES [I'm sure he has stock-sized valves, bought from him a few months back. Contact him if you need the guides only]: engnbldr

SEALS: viton seals

SPRINGS: springs

still your choice...

Yup. I've used these parts a few times. No issues. Quality pieces. Engnbldr has been used by the 4g63 crowd a ton and i've yet to see any complaints whatsoever.

BogusSVO

Sorry, According to Ted, Engnbldr, he is out of stock on the STD size valves for about 5 weeks.

He gave me that little bit of info last week.

I honestly have lost count of how many sets of the BC springs I have installed. Not just in the 4g heads but EJ25 and sgte heads.

prove_it

I hate running out of fingers to count....

Boostdtalon

Quoting BogusSVO:
Sorry, According to Ted, Engnbldr, he is out of stock on the STD size valves for about 5 weeks.

He gave me that little bit of info last week.

I honestly have lost count of how many sets of the BC springs I have installed. Not just in the 4g heads but EJ25 and sgte heads.

That's fine. I'm not in a hurry to get the parts. I can wait.

The guy I was planning on using to rebuild the head is one of my co workers. He has a shop on the side and builds alot of V8 cylinder heads.

BogusSVO

I have built both the 4g and domestic V8 heads.

What is used for seat widths on a V8 are not the same used on a 4g head.

There is also more details to attend to with a 4g than a V8.

prove_it

Yea, those are two completely different things. A head is not just another head. I can paint a car, but that doesn't mean I can do it well. If your friend has only done one or two 4 cylinder heads, I'd be careful. He could end up belt sanding the head, and don't get bogusSVO started about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BogusSVO

ProveIt, you called that one right! Seems the new thing I am seeing a fair amount is the wrong stone used in the cylinder bore. But that is a rant for another day.

Boostdtalon

Well I'm going to ask some of the shops around here to see about experience with the 4G head. I'm sure English or Delta Cam may know who to go to.

coyotes

There was some discussion about this on the Washington DSM group lately. Everyone seems to agree Action Machine in shoreline is best for 4g63.

Boostdtalon

Ok to update this some. Thanks to Anthony, I just bought a set of standard sized supertech valves. Gotta hold of on the parts buying this month as I just traded my RX8 and my girlfriends car in on a brand new CX-5. Next up will be valve springs and seals. Slowly but surely coming together. Guess I should make a build thread for 1411.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned