The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What actually happens when the timing ground is grounded?

SleepinGVR4

So what actually happens? When you ground the timing ground does it just lock what the ECU sees (5 degrees BTDC)?

When you select the option on DSMlink it locks the display at 5 degrees BTDC. Does the timing ground connection in your engine bay do the same thing?

So then when you set the timing your just aligning the engine to what the ecu sees at 5 degrees BTDC?

Sorry if I'm not making any sense.

ktmrider

Bypasses, or rather ignores, all "dynamic" learning components ( ISC, O2 feedback in Closed Loop, timing advance for examples ). Kinda like disconnecting your battery to clear a code but doesn't erase anything.

So when you set your base timing to 5 degrees with the CAS you don't have any extra advance/retard from the ECU. On the ISC it sets it to the center of its travel, that way the BISS adjustment will allow the ISC to compensate +/- for varying conditions ( AC, ambient air temp, etc ).

SleepinGVR4

Will your idle always drop when the engine timing adjustment connector is grounded?

Is grounding your engine timing adjustment connector and selecting the option in dsmlink the same thing?

ktmrider

On idle drop, depends on how good your BISS/ISC setup is. As noted grounding the port/pin makes the ISC motor move to the center of its travel, so if your BISS is not adjusted well the ISC has to adjust to maintain target idle RPM.

Yes on DSMLink and Timing connector, both provide a path to ground for the ECU controller circuits.

SleepinGVR4

Quoting ktmrider:
On idle drop, depends on how good your BISS/ISC setup is. As noted grounding the port/pin makes the ISC motor move to the center of its travel, so if your BISS is not adjusted well the ISC has to adjust to maintain target idle RPM.

Yes on DSMLink and Timing connector, both provide a path to ground for the ECU controller circuits.

OK so if the idle doesn't drop I have my BISS/ISC setup properly? Good to know.

That makes since too because before I reinstalled my ISC it had to adjust quite a bit and now that I have it installed it doesn't adjust at all.

BpuVR4

can we confirm this no idle drop=good biss/isc setup indication? have always wondered this myself, especially since i've had my isc unplugged for quite some time now.

AllanL

with the pin grounded, timing goes back to whatever you set it at at the CAS.

but by the book, 5deg is where it should land, with the pin grounded.

un-grounded, it would be around 12deg.

so with the timing 'retarded' to 5deg and without the other 'idle uppers' like ISC, AT, fans, etc, idle will drop...

...but this is just from my experience with 4g63's...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned