The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

91 VR4 Blow off valve question

NavyVR4

I've had this 1991 galant VR4 for about 2 months now. It's pretty much stock in exception of the front mount setup, with 2 RFL blow off valves, and the factory blow off valve all connected and in use.

My question is, whenever i disconnect one or two of the blow off valves, it causes the car to not build boost correctly and hold at a certain psi. What could be causing this?

edit:: I guess I should also include, that when I disconnect the BOV's, I just take the hoses off of the BOV nipples and just block off the vac lines that were going to them.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
So you have 3 bov's installed???????????

mitsuturbo

Manifold boost pressure helps keep them closed. Soon as you disconnect the line, they're able to blow open under bossy pressure pushing against the on only one side.

NavyVR4

Oh ok. Sorry if this was a dumb question. But atleast someone was able to help. What are some solutions I could do to keep them closed? I'd rather not run 3 blow off valves if possible. And removing them is not something I can do.

NavyVR4

Lol. It's 2 RFL's and the stock BOV. It sounds weird as it is. The 2 RFLS are loud and then the stock BOV makes the higher pitched noise. The RFL's aren't recirculated so it makes it drop RPM's and feel like its going to stall when shifting.

turbowop

Quoting EgonOlsen:
Get 2 more with different sounds, all vent to air and make a band.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowrofl.gif

Find the previous owner and give him a nice square kick to the nuts. WTF three BOV's? RFL's are garbage anyway. Do whatever you can to remove those things and just keep the stock valve on there...and make sure it's recirculated.

Kibby

Can you post a pic of this setup?

prove_it

3? that's a new one. I want to see pics.

mitsuturbo

Somebody trollin'

Nobody would waste the time, money, and energy required to install two additional BOVs. That's just silly.

I too demand to see photos of said setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

G

Staff member
Wth is rfl ???

prove_it

really fu**ing loud.

Remember the old turboXS valves with the horn? Yep that style.

ghostinthevr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I used to have an RFL back when I was in DSM's they leak like crazy. You don't even have to do a boost leak test to know there leaking, I bet the original owner just wanted to hear the whhhhhoooooooosssshhhhhh sound.

MellowVR4

I scared soo many people with their windows rolled down with one of those RFL's lol Dont have it anymore and would probably never have one on my car ever again.

prove_it

everyone had to have one back in the early 00's. Everyone.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts