The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

engine conversion

2badvr4

Looking for some honest advice...

I've been out of the car game for a long time and I've just bought myself my second VR4. Now, I'm looking for reliability first and foremost and possibly a modern spin on a classic. So I'm thinking later model Evo engine swap?

So my questions are:

1. To the best of my knowledge, up to evo 3 is virtually the same engine, after that it's flipped 180º so intake/exhaust is on the wrong side (right?). Then I heard evo x the engine gets flipped back... is my information correct?

2. Is an engine swap cost efficient?

3. Is this just a dumb idea and should I stick to freshening up the original motor?

89Mirageman

Option 3 is probably what you'll get from most on here, it's my vote anyway.

prove_it

Evo X is still flipped and same as the EVO 4-9. You can put an EVO head on the stock 4g63 block. It takes a lot of work, but can be done. You could fit an EVO 8 engine in the bay and fab up mounts and all that jazz, but your talking lots of fab work that requires high skill levels.

Yep, option 3 is the best idea. In all reality, unless your a glutton for punishment and have deep pockets and want to do something new, then just build the stock engine. You'll still make any power level you want.

BogusSVO

The Evo X engine is not the same as the 4G63 engine, the Evo X has a 4B11T.

So drop the EVO X swap unless you want to redo and mod the whole front end.

The Evo IX has Mivec, so some fab and wire work will be needed to make that work.

Now the DSM 7 bolt and Evo 4-9 (?) are close to the DSM 7 bolts so the mounts for it are on the trans not the engine block.

So for ease and simplicity, rebuild what you have. Or think of a stroker.

gaylantvr4

The only advantage to a evo 4-9 motor is the transmission. They where designed to hold more power stock and seem to hold up better with alot of power other than that there would be no point in the extra fab work.

raptorWagon

Quoting gaylantvr4:
The only advantage to a evo 4-9 motor is the transmission. They where designed to hold more power stock and seem to hold up better with alot of power

Tell that to the 6spd MR guys lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

raptorWagon

I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but them Evo guys love it when their transfer cases do the death whine nonetheless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Jesus_Negros

Someone should do it. Dream and innovation guys.

Jesus_Negros

And money.

r4pt0x

Why should a newer engine autmagically be the more reliable one?

Mitsubishi also had to start saving weight and cost over time - older parts/engines/cars often have more reserves as the newer ones have. If they are well maintained they are at least as reliable as a new engine, if not more...

I've rebuilt a VR4 engine ~3 years ago and used the car as a daily-driver even on many long-distance travels doing >1000kms on one day. and here on the german autobahn with a long gearbox i was definately not going slow - the car has often seen speeds well over 250kph...
Never had a single problem with that engine in the ~20k kms since rebuild.

Put the money in a decent overhaul of your engine with OEM Mitsubishi parts - the only parts I have seen failing were aftermarket ones: water pumps (plastic wheel!), exhaust gaskets, hydraulic tensioners etc...

SSGdave

Quoting coyotes:
LS1 it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

SSGdave

Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Someone should do it. Dream and innovation guys.

wait, I thought there was some guy in Malaysia that did an CT9A Evo engine and drivetrain into a E3X Galant? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

either way it would be a lot of work and a lot of money.

Last edited:

gaylantvr4

Quoting raptorreed:
I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but them Evo guys love it when their transfer cases do the death whine nonetheless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

They both have flaws but the awd dsm trans was designed around a 100hp awd colt where as the evo was designed around a 250 hp evo

raptorWagon

Quoting SSGdave:
Quoting Turbro_Negro:
Someone should do it. Dreamand innovation guys.

wait, I thought there was some guy in Malaysia that did an CT9A Evo engine and drivetrain into a E3X Galant? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

either way it would be a lot of work and a lot of money.

It was a Eterna with a Evo 4+ head modified to fit a early block.

2badvr4

Quoting r4pt0x:
Why should a newer engine autmagically be the more reliable one?

Mitsubishi also had to start saving weight and cost over time - older parts/engines/cars often have more reserves as the newer ones have. If they are well maintained they are at least as reliable as a new engine, if not more...

I've rebuilt a VR4 engine ~3 years ago and used the car as a daily-driver even on many long-distance travels doing >1000kms on one day. and here on the german autobahn with a long gearbox i was definately not going slow - the car has often seen speeds well over 250kph...
Never had a single problem with that engine in the ~20k kms since rebuild.

Put the money in a decent overhaul of your engine with OEM Mitsubishi parts - the only parts I have seen failing were aftermarket ones: water pumps (plastic wheel!), exhaust gaskets, hydraulic tensioners etc...

Maybe mor reliable was the wrong word, modern, fresh technology, mivec is supposed to be the bomb, yeah?

Last edited:

fuel

He's in Australia (though I think the guy is actually Malaysian), and the car is actually a Galant GSR hatch. The Eterna badge is for JDM cars only.

raptorWagon

Honestly though, when we all think Eterna, Galant hatch comes to mind, but say GSR and ECS FWD na 4g63 come to mind lol.

MIVEC is just valve timing, nothing special since MIVEC has been around since the 90s, they just didn't apply it to the 4g63 until the Evo 9 came out.
A later 4g63 conversion is not more modern its just a revised version of a 25+yr old motor lol.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts