The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Re: What tires would you run??

FlyingEagle

Staff member
what do you guys think of this newest incarnation the Direzza tire line, the DZ102?

Looking at 205 50 15"

click

They've just been released overseas and will be here at Tire-Rack in March.

I'm quoted at $73 per tire, to make up for a purchase of what turned out to be a no-stock/low-stock option at Tire-Rack.

Anybody run the DZ101's before?

I like the look of the tread pattern and think it won't be curling up under hard driving.

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Updated the original post.

This is the tire I'm looking at purchasing to assemble with a 2 piece 6.5" rim.

Last edited:

coyotes

I bought these for my Evo 8 wheels:

click

kinda hard to beat for 95 bucks a corner. Although, these will not last very long, expect 15-20k on a proper alignment and you can't drive them in the snow. My car is not a daily driver though, so it is worth it and they are super sticky. Basically a DOT legal track tire.

edit: here are the tires in your size: click 73 a tire.

Last edited:

manikbastrd

I had the Yoko S-Drives on 724 and loved them...If you want a total performance tire, I can personally vouch for the Toyo Proxxes R888's. They hold 390WHP on my Boss 302 all day long...I can corner like a champ and I can literally stomp it in second and have no traction issues. What do you want to do with the tires? Eagle GT is a good all around tire that can hold pretty well. I have also heard great things about the Nitto Invo's FWIW
GL!!!

4Grim

I really loved my Dunlop Direzzas (Star Specs) that are on my Evo enkies. Ride quality is pretty decent but performance is just awsome. I do want to try out Hankook RS-3's though as a couple buddies have had great experiences with them or Michelin Pilot Super Sport.

Boostdtalon

I have a friend that has used the 615's, Star Specs, and RS-3's on his Evo 8. He pretty much swears by the Hankook's now for spirited driving and track days. He said the Star specs had the best wet weather grip of the three(I've heard that a few times from others as well.)

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Unless my car sits on stands in my garage, (tires/rims come into my basement) the great white north has a tendency to eat track/performance oriented tires:

click

Sigh.

Great options there guys.

I'm looking to step up from mileage-master type all season tires in a 195 width, on ..... badum ch ... 14" rims.

Middle of the road zone whereby I can get better performance, hopefully handle the E316G with my ATB LSD in a FWD trans and light car, and still have it out in the spring and fall whenever there is no salt being slung on the roadways. I'll drive it in the cold, just don't want a tire that cracks in the cold, or turns into a plastic block as a result. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

manikbastrd

I would Highly recommend the Eagle GT in that case. I think they are a great step up from a standard mileage master...Although I don't know how they hold up to the cold...that's on you to research.

92_talon_awd

I second those BF Goodrich tires, I had the street version of those on my 1g and they were sticky as hell in the summer and did well in the rain. Lasted forever too. If you're looking for all around tires for a good price, I recommend the General Altimax HP. Tire rack rates them higher then some of the big name brands in their independent tests. I had them on my 2g and loved them in the mud, snow, rain, and sun. Great price on them too!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Direzza Z1 Star Spec versus Direzza Z2 (the new model, early 2013 for reference)
click

Looking into BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S

I'm torn between a high performance/preformance summer tire and an all season with decent traction and lower noise factor (NVH).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned