The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

no start issue...possibly due to cold weather

daras6909

Ok so the car tuned a while back, makes 280whp on mustang dyno. And while they were at it they replaced the coolant temp sensor and o2 sensor. Before the tune it was giving trouble starting but would eventually fire up. For about 2 months after the tune everything was perfect. Now as the weather has gotten colder I used to get idle surge and it would idle between 1500-2000 rpm and it would just rev and settle for about 20 seconds...then it would go down to 1k rpm and smooth out, last month it stopped doing that and would run fine upon initial start up. Then the CEL would come on & it started idling at 700-900 rpm and idle exceptionally rough and would stall a few times. Saturday it was 16 degrees wen I was trying to leave for work & it would not start(took the girls car in). Got home at noon and it was 37 degrees out and fired up.on first try. And come Monday morning @ 14 degrees out wouldn't start...got home and its 34 degrees out and still wont start.

Im just looking for possible routes to start searching for this issue. She cranks like an animal and I have proper fuel pressure.

tektic

Are your fuel injectors being fired? Can you log pulse with during cranking? What did you use to tune and log?

daras6909

It's got dsmlink v2. I had it tuned @ dynotech in seekonk, Massachusetts. Idk wat I'm looking at on the computer personally. Injectors are pte880s. I have fuel pressure.

tektic

your looking for injector duty cycle or pulse width during cranking. If it isn't showing a value your ecu is not giving them a signal for the injectors to fire. That would be the absolute first thing I would check.
You have checked to see your getting spark correct?

daras6909

Got home from work yesterday around 4:30pm(35 degrees Fahrenheit) and she fired right on the first try. This morning at 5:30am(23 degrees Fahrenheit) wouldn't start. just cranked over and over, never even trying to fire up.

transparentdsm

might sound weird, but check your translator wireing harness, it might have come loose or there might be moisture in there and when it goes below 32 it freezes and wont let a connection form. or the CAS plug. just two thoughts.

LIV4PSI

Sounds like a weak battery to me

daras6909

Battery is only a few months old. It cranks like an animal, just doesnt light off. and in slightly warmer weather it starts without any issue. Now where is this "translator harness" located?

daras6909

Just ordered a replacement coolant temp sensor. Last one was replaced just over 5000 miles ago. That's what was giving me the issue last time...only last time after a few attempted starts she would cough to life after 4-5 trys

G

Staff member
The sensors may be fine, but the connections and wiring are a whole other issue.

transparentdsm

drivers side of the car near the bottom of the intake manifold, i think its a 7 wire harness. its part of the ignition system.

Paddy1337

call dynotech yet? they're pretty reputable, and they know hat they messed with when they tuned it.

coyotes

you could do some simple things such as checking and cleaning the connections on the starter and battery, clean your grounds, etc. is pretty quick and easy to do, wouldn't hurt to possibly solve an annoying issue.

I come from turbo volvos and doing this would literally change the way the car ran and operated entirely. Bosch electronics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

theevozero

Quoting G:
The sensors may be fine, but the connections and wiring are a whole other issue.

This, those wires are usually pretty crispy. The starting issue you're describing sounds like a coolant temp sensor issue. I buy water tight spade connectors to replace those terminals, they work great. Of course, looking at engine parameters would answer that question. If there is a circuit issue, it would show -40 degrees or something crazy like that.

daras6909

Replaced it with a duralast coolant temperature sensor. Fixed the issue thus far. No CEL, runs much smoother. Started up everytime since without issue. I will be ordering an OEM sensor from jnztuning as a back up one this one goes.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts