After some weekends i couldn't work at the car and 2 weeks holidays the car finally runs and drove its first 1.5km on the lift (to vent the steering system) and 2m back from the lift to get everything out and some things back in the car
But first things first. 3 Weeks ago the exhaust was finally completed and got some wrapping...
(i have no idea how the camera got the rear and front of the car sharp end everything else blurry
It will be removed one last time to add the heat shields above the cat and just behind the oil pan to protect the transfer case and steering rack from excessive heat.
As i'm still looking for the passenger side intercooler pipe i temporarily installed the fugly piping from my FWD which was squeezed tightly near the engine due to the ECS piping underneath the battery and the compressor on top of the transmission... It really hurt installing this mess into that clean engine bay
As soon as i get that pipe i can finish the piping and order all the hoses from samco (all in classic black
2 weeks ago the car ran for the first time since the beginning of this project, but the ECU i got as replacement for my own Evo 7 ECU was constantly throwing errors about the injector 3 circuit. Changing the injectors didn't help, the wiring wasn't changed and signal at ECU and plug was perfect for ~20sec until the ECU again threw that error and disabled the injector. So i wasted nearly a whole day on that problem and left a bit pissed for holidays...
Meanwhile i got my old ECU back, transfered my maf scalings and maps from the old evo 7 90550001 tephra v5.1 software to the evo 8 96532706 tephra v7 with livemapping, then threw away my old maf scalings because i found during the last 2 years with disassembly of some ROMs that they were made with wrong assumptions on how the values are used. So i spent 2 nights diving back into the code and making some calculations on the maf and injector scalings...
Yesterday i installed my old ecu, flashed the new rom and turned the key several times until i recognized the the resistor pack was still disconnected
With fuel the engine started immediately, settled a bit rich at ~1100rpm and dropped slowly to ~800rpm and ~14.3 AFR as the engine warmed up in open loop. Idle is smooth as silk despite the 1000cc injectors and i only had to readjust the injector latencies a bit to be nearly dead-on at idle. I still think its more an issue with the linearization than latencies - have to play with these values or finally get an answer from precision about that data... For only calculated but not yet properly scaled injectors and maf the AFRs in idle and with no load at mid rpms are really great and nearly dead-on to the maps.
The exhaust sounds great - a bit loud for my taste, but really great. I hope with installed interior it gets a bit quieter inside.
Today i fixed a minor coolant leak i discovered yesterday, pre-assembled the front (bolts and clips arrive on tuesday...) and mounted the rest of the bigger parts on the front end:
I've been waiting to see the car with its full face since i decided on the 2-tone painting and it turned out better than i ever expected
The emblem had some ugly scratches and was more rose than red, so i ordered a new one together with the "MMC" badge for the trunklid
The drivers side vent above the spoiler feeds exactly to the engine and steering oil coolers. Together with some decent ventilation to the wheel well they should work really good at that position.
The intercooler also gets enough air - wasnt sure about the position of the RS intercooler behind the dynamic4 bumper, but around 80-85% surface gets direct airflow.
The ugly red paint inside the grille will be removed - the paintshop forgot to paint that black...
I also love how tight the downpipe sits under the engine. Always hated the low hanging one on my FWD... The oil pan got some adhesive heat-shield, so temperatures should be ok - haven't installed the oil temp gauge yet, but the sensor sits in the oil pan.
Someday this week i'll install the drivers seat and get the car to my garage. The Interior and air piping will be done as the parts are here and/or i have the time and i'm up for it. I've been doing nearly nothing else for 2 years now and until next spring i have enough time to get the car ready, so i'll gear down a bit from now. Plus my other cars also need some attention