The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another HID retrofit... with vacuum formed lenses

Mitsuman3KGT

Some of you saw my posts in the parts wanted looking for headlights to retrofit a while back as I was getting some PM's about the project. Well I finally completed the quad retrofit and I'm marginally happy with the results.

I was sick of driving at night with terrible lighting, I just felt like I couldn't see anything (yes my eyes were open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif) so I read every thread about HID retrofitting and fixated on Curtis' masterpieces. I knew I wanted to keep a sort of stock look so I went with quad projectors. This wasn't necessary as they are bi-pxenon but I didn't want a gaping hole where the high beams used to be. I also loved the look of halos so naturally I put four in my setup. I saw the Morimoto Xb's on a retrofitting site but I wanted to do a budget build so I went with all Ebay parts. (I'll post prices later)

All in all I spent more than I wanted.I didn't want to hack up another set of 93's (as they are getting a little harder to find) so I decided to give vacuum forming a try. I built a vacuum table and made molds of each headlight and gave it hell. I wish I would have used thicker acrylic (the lenses fit in the housings but they aren't as thick as stock glass so there are gaps as seen below), but hey when they crack from a rock or something I'll make thicker lenses next time.

As for pricing:

-Projectors: $90 for 4
-Halos: $64 for 4
-HID's: $89 for 4

for a parts total of $240ish

-I bought a set of 92 headlights for $40
-random tools needed ~$100
-more sheets of acrylic than I care to count ~$70
-plaster $20
-Oven heating element (ebay) for heating acrylic $35
-spare mdf sheets at home FREE

for a rough total of $500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

That might seem ridiculous, because it is, but it was worth it in the end. The output is tremendous and I can see driving at night.

Oh and please no comments on the wonky grille. I must have bent the sh*t out of it taking it out so many times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

On for pics.

IMG_1956_zps3290087c.jpg

IMG_1958_zps1710ef93.jpg

IMG_1970_zps370828b2.jpg

IMG_1973_zps11ef4885.jpg

IMG_1977_zpsd900042b.jpg

IMG_1985_zpsecddcad1.jpg

IMG_1987_zpse3c8adff.jpg

IMG_1991_zps1fc187d6.jpg

No output shots as the sun is still sort of out.. Will post output shots soon!

For my next little project, I'll be doing heated mirrors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif because I hate not being able to see out of them on cold mornings!

Zach.

GSTwithPSI

You did a great job, and I think they turned out good. I like how the halos look. Not sure I'd spend $500 bucks on any set of headlights though, regardless of how good they worked or looked.

The real question is, how well do they function? I'm waiting for the output shots, to see how the alignment is. No doubt HIDs are bright, but getting them aimed in the right direction and getting them to stay there is the challenge. When you can, post up a pic of the output on a white garage door or something.

Did you take any pictures of the retrofit process? I'd be curious to see how you did the vacuum molding. What projectors did you use, and how did you mold the lens yourself? Great job for sure, and super unique!

Last edited:

MellowVR4

They look good, but now the car looks like its on ecstasy lol good job tho.

Mitsuman3KGT

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
You did a great job, and I think they turned out good. I like how the halos look. Not sure I'd spend $500 bucks on any set of headlights though, regardless of how good they worked or looked.

The real question is, how well do they function? I'm waiting for the output shots, to see how the alignment is. No doubt HIDs are bright, but getting them aimed in the right direction and getting them to stay there is the challenge. When you can, post up a pic of the output on a white garage door or something.

Did you take any pictures of the retrofit process? I'd be curious to see how you did the vacuum molding. What projectors did you use, and how did you mold the lens yourself? Great job for sure, and super unique!

Thanks I appreciate it! Yea 500 bucks kinda sucked but I was already into the project, it seemed like a little here and a little there but it added up pretty fast. I much rather would have spent the money on an ecmlink or evo recaros or just maintenance things lol. No I didn't take any pics while I was doing the retrofit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif but I can take pics of the molds, vacuum table, and diy oven. If I ever make more lenses I'll be sure to record it or something.

I'm terrible with night shots but here are a few... and the lights aren't that blue I was trying to set my white balance but it didn't work as you can see

IMG_2016_zpsed5fa4e0.jpg

IMG_2026_zpsb388aaaf.jpg

IMG_2039_zps807dae12.jpg

It's hard to tell how well they actually work. I have them aimed to where it's under the rear view mirror and side mirrors of the car in front of me, so no blinding other driver's. They are 5000K bulbs (yes I know they aren't as bright as 4300K) and the halos are the same or 6000K I believe.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

well, good work, but im not a fan of the final product, at all. function over form though i guess, if they work great, that's awesome.

GSTwithPSI

From the pics, it looks like they are at least pointing in a good position to maximize visibility. Of the HID retrofits I've seen, none ever struck me as something I'd want to do to my own car. Like Alpha Male, it's not really my cup of tea. The angel eyes look good, but just don't really fit the car IMO. When I think of angel eyes, I think BMW and sh*t, not lowly old 90's Mitsubishi. I think a nice set of 93 housings with a good set of halogen bulbs look and function best. It's a misconception that HIDs always outperform halogen bulbs. Beam design is the most important factor of a well performing headlamp, especially an HID lamp. You can't really optimize design with a retrofit, since you are modifying a halogen lamp housing to accept a HID projector. It's a very unique project though, that's for sure. If you like it, that's all that really matters.

turbowop

I'm with the guys above. The work itself looks outstanding and I can certainly appreciate the time put into it, but I'm not sure the look fits the car.

KT

I think it looks great and $500 is not bad. The same kit for my C5 is $650. I see it as a safety item, not as much a style thing.

Mitsuman3KGT

I appreciate the comments guys. Like I said earlier I'm marginally happy with the results. The thinner acrylic used left gaps and I wasn't the biggest fan of using the round projectors. There are actually square lens projectors coming out soon that I think would fit the body lines MUCH better but this was my attempt. Maybe I'll crack them open if the square projectors aren't crazy expensive.

GSX_TC

If the projectors & Halo's were larger I think it would look better. But having those tiny ones makes it look funny on these cars. But atleast it works. Good job on doing all that stuff yourself though, most people that do this retrofit have to send their stuff off to places like the retrofit source and pay over a thousand bucks.

JCorbo25

I think it looks great and wouldn't mind doing it to my car... but I could spend $500 in a lot better areas. Great upgrade though!

I did HID conversions on the MS3 and had HIDs on my Evos... I still miss them.

thecman02

I did the a retrofit on my CBR600RR. The increase in light output and spread destroys 99.9% of everything else on the road. The key is definitely to use HID specific projectors,killer mini projectors . I agree that it doesn't really fit the car 100%, but the light output improvement is worth it. I think the Audi Light Strip fits our cars a little better then the halos imo.

Last edited:

CutlassJim

Quoting KT:
I think it looks great and $500 is not bad. The same kit for my C5 is $650. I see it as a safety item, not as much a style thing.

Halo's don't provide any safety are are purely atheistic. I'm actually not even a fan of them of BMW's because of this reason. I will say the cutoff on his retrofit looks awesome and from the pictures the output looks great. Though I don't ever remember having a problem with the Galants stock headlights.

On the other hand this setup with early 90's 3/5 series lights looks awesome and I want to copy it.

DSC_0910.jpg

turbowop

I've said it many times; I think the stock halogens are some of the best factory lighting I've ever seen. Especially when you click on the high beams. I really don't even think the factory bi-xenons on my Audi are that much better.

jogalant

I like the idea of having projector lamps not only because of their brightness but also b/c of the extremely well-defined cutoff they produce. I would have kept the high beams stock though and only if using 93 lenses.

Nice work nevertheless! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Street Surgeon

Functionally your lights are probably the best I've seen, that goes for the quality of work involved as well. That being said, the final look is.... Not for me. IMO "angel eyes" should be left to bimmers.

mitsuturbo

I agree with the post above this one. The function looks good in the photos, but the look of those lights in the housings looks too.. uhm.. modern? for our cars. It just doesn't fit right, IMO.

Someone retrofitted something similar to some Diamante headlights a while back, i think. They looked a little better, but still i think the classic look of 93 headlights wins over all.

curtis

Look damn good. Now years ago I used some lens from a set of foglights and stead of trashing the lights I put them on my mower Needed a lens so I just cut out 2 circles of lexan and put them together after a few uses one was fine and the other was changing and starting to melt. Its says something about this on the lexan about UV waves and this side out so hopefully using these doesn't kill the acrylic.....sticker was off the pieces and just scrap so I didn't know what side was up. Post up pictures of the vacuum molds

Last edited:

Mitsuman3KGT

Thanks guys. I know it doesn't match the era or looks at all and I might change them or make more down the road with the square lens projectors but I'm content for now.

I've gotten a few pm's about the molds and what not so I will take pics of the molds, vac table, and heating box later tonight or tomorrow after work. The way to heat up the acrylic was the biggest problem for me, I bought a 120V oven element off of Ebay and had my dad (software engineer) build me a controller for the element. I read that you could use dimming light switches (potentiometers) but that just seemed sketchy to control an element that could reach hundreds of degrees. As for the acrylic, it was supposed to be UV stable for 10 years (OPTIX brand) but I've put a few coats of sealant and wax on them and will continue to do so just in case.

Zach.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned